Unable to click on hyperlinks on published work

Jan 23, 2014

Hi,

I have Articulate Presenter 2013 on a remote desktop and have published my finished work to a .zip file. I have emailed to my co-workers to test it out and the hyperlinks do not work. I get the warning message "The hyperlinks feature on this slide has been disabled while viewing locally because your browser does not support it." What is wrong? Everything works fine when I test it on my remote desktop, but when I try to share the output file, the hyperlinks stop working. This basically renders my CBT useless if I want to share my work.

31 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jordan and welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

If you view published Articulate Presenter content on your local hard drive or send it to someone else to view on their local hard drive, you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features to fail. To test your content and share it with others, you'll need to upload it to the environment for which it was published. Here is an article that further explains.

Paul Escobar

I am having the same problem.  I copy files to server from C drive.  The end users get the message when using the exit button or hyperlinks in slides....it does not matter if it comes from shared drive or webpage (server) same error occurs.  I do not get on my desktop.

Error:

This did not happen when I was using Articulate '09.  I just upgraded a few weeks back and when I updated my '09 to '13 they were fine.  Just new ones done in '13 are having this issue.

Please help - Paul

Paul Escobar

Leslie,

Thank you for replying.  I did review the document where it has WEB.  We do not use LMS, Articulate Online or Zipfile.   We just publish directly to a folder on My Articulate on C drive and the copy those file directly up to the server that is hosting our training site in-house.  Nothing is external.  It was working fine on version '09 but no '13 not doing anything differently not sure why it is broken. This would make my 46th course to publish so I am very familiar with the process although '13 was a little different with the mobile choices. Publishing a Presentation for Web is what I am using. 

I just followed all the steps in the article to be sure I was doing it correctly. 

Still yeilds same results.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Paul!

Still sounds like a local viewing issue.

Hyperlinks may not work as expected when previewing. To test hyperlinks, publish your presentation and upload it to a web server or LMS. Otherwise, local security restrictions may prevent your hyperlinks from working properly.

Here is a support document related to the Exit tab as well.

Paul Escobar

Leslie,

I did publish and viewed from the website along with 2 test people in other parts of the country.

They have the same issue.

-Publish locally to C drive

-copy to server to go on website

-Open from web page and link gives message along with the Exit buttton at top right.

Testers in Fl and Mn have tested through the web page after it has been published and they get the same message.

I also tried changing the Player option to launch a new page as recommended by one of the articles here.

Same thing happens.

Paul

Paul Escobar

Hi Leslie,

I was going over the other support document.

We are not using an LMS or FTP.  It is simply uploaded to Web and users go to a page and click on link and view.

I contacted our support about FTP and they said it was not loaded and running on the web serverbox

we use.

I have re-published the module many times now and get the error. (I can watch on my desktop and all works fine)

The FTP support team says that the copying of files from my C drive to the Training drive to display on the

webpage would accomplish the same as having the files FTP to the server.

Is there a difference?  But they cannot set up the service for FTP on that server.

Thanks, Paul

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Paul!

I was reviewing this thread again, and you mentioned that you were working on Articulate Presenter on a remote desktop?

This would not be a supported method.

When creating, editing, and publishing Articulate Presenter '13 courses, be sure you're working on your local hard drive (typically your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, such as file corruption, an inability to save changes, and loss of resources. See this article for more information.

Alphonso Hendricks

I see that this issue was raised as early as Jan 2014 already. I only encountered the problem now after upgrading to Storyline 02.

I am publishing for Web output and I am using the "launch in a different window" option. Still the problem remains. I have read Leslie's attached article BUT it is not sorting out the problem.

Has Articulate sorted out the problem yet. It is affecting my business in a bad way.

Please help.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Alphonso!

So you are having an issue with Storyline 2? Just want to be sure that I'm following since this is the Presenter forum, so the article wouldn't have been 100% applicable

In Articulate Storyline, you can hyperlink to web pages, files, other parts of the same course, and email addresses. See this tutorial for details.

If you are utilizing supported hyperlinks, working locally, publishing as shown here, and testing the content in it's intended environment and still having issues we would want to take a look at your .story file :)

George Sandison

I'm having this issue as well. I have a presentation made in a Parallels environment and links within the presentation to websites only work in the home environment. Even on the same computer, via OS X they don't work. I realise this is your security issue but I haven't got a solution in the above.

I'm publishing to CD but the links to external websites - so not within the presentation - are coming up with the error message. The links are correct and complete, including the http://. I've tried putting the published output on a CD and USB, and also compressing the published folder, as recommended in one of the above documents but no success.

George Sandison

The context here is that the presentation is burned to CD, which is then replicated and inserted into a book. I've tried putting the presentation on a CD, USB and also zipped it, as per the above.. Short of putting the CD in a book on a shelf, then taking it off and taking the CD out again, I've recreated the user experience!

George Sandison

The thing is we've made the presentation in a Parallels environment on a Mac. We've published it to the desktop of the PC environment and then burned to CD again through the PC environment. Your support team (ref 00429056) directed us to our Flash Player security settings but for some reason it won't let me give folders permission, just files. Their response as below:

"Since you're launching presentation.html here, local security restrictions in your computer, Flash Player, and web browser are preventing your hyperlinks from working properly.

Could you try adding the folder where the course is located to your local Flash Player Security Settings as described in the article?
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager04.html"

If I can get that link to work does that mean that users would have to do the same though? That's not a viable solution for us, we have non-techy customers... 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.