How do I change state on button when lightbox viewed

Feb 06, 2014

Hi, I have a text object on my first screen that opens a lightbox when clicked. I have 3 states on the text (normal, hover and then a custom state called Done what is supposed to display a checkmark beside the text when triggered).

I don't want the Done state to change until the viewer has gone through all the content in the lightbox.

I created a true/false variable called introDone and set the initial value to False.

I added a trigger to the last layer in the lightbox slide to change the variable to true when the timeline starts.

I put another variable on the slide with the textbox to change the state of the textbox to Done when the timeline starts if introDone = true.

It is all very well and good except that it doesn't work - has anyone managed to get this to work? If so, can you share your solution.

15 Replies
Steve Flowers

Gotcha. Yep, that's the same problem I solved at one time. I'll see if I can pull out the example I used. As I remember I did this using a couple of different mechanisms under different circumstances. The problem, as I remember, is that while the lightbox is up, nothing happens on the base slide. So any listeners aren't active. I believe the way I worked this was with a layer. 

- Have your button pop up a layer when the timeline starts. The layer triggers the opening of the lightbox. 

- The lightbox pauses progression of the layer so it won't execute the trigger at the end of the timeline

- When the lightbox closes, the layer continues

- Trigger at the end of the layer to switch your base layer state if a variable meets a certain condition

The layer doesn't need to be very long. 1 second or so. 

Michael Hinze

Hi Nancy, see attached the 'mad scientist' approach; when the three layers in the lightboxed slide have been clicked a variable is set to true. On the base slide, there is a transparent shape that sits just 'underneath' the lightbox's X button. This shape has a hover trigger that changes the text's state to Done, but only if the variable is true. So, when I close he lightbox, the mouse then sits on top of the transparent shape and if the variable is true, then the text's state changes. I hope someone comes up with an easier solution

Edit: I didn't know that HTML5 was a requirement, don't bother with my idea then, it won't work.

Kristin Augusta

Steve Flowers said:

Gotcha. Yep, that's the same problem I solved at one time. I'll see if I can pull out the example I used. As I remember I did this using a couple of different mechanisms under different circumstances. The problem, as I remember, is that while the lightbox is up, nothing happens on the base slide. So any listeners aren't active. I believe the way I worked this was with a layer. 

- Have your button pop up a layer when the timeline starts. The layer triggers the opening of the lightbox. 

- The lightbox pauses progression of the layer so it won't execute the trigger at the end of the timeline

- When the lightbox closes, the layer continues

- Trigger at the end of the layer to switch your base layer state if a variable meets a certain condition

The layer doesn't need to be very long. 1 second or so. 

Thanks, Steve!  This just saved the day for me!

Zuzanna Popik

I know it is 5 years later, but here's my workaround.

Each lightbox has a trigger to change a variable "Lightbox1Visited" to TRUE (from default FALSE). In my case the variable changes when the lightbox timeline starts, but this can be customized.

Then on the base layer the button has a trigger
-to change its state to DONE
-when the mouse hovers over
-a tansparent shape that covers all of the slide
-on the condition that "Lightbox1Visited" is TRUE.

This transparent shape might be a bit silly, but it works for me and maybe someone finds this helpful.