How to highlight part of the picture and blur the rest?

Feb 09, 2014

Hi, I make some video-tutorial by using screen capture. I had a wish to highlight a part by part of image (screen), like title bar, pull-down menu, form, buttons... and rest of screen make blurred or less visible in order to het visitors attention on right place. Is it possible, I did it before in DemoBuilder with special ability of box or frame where is space inside box clear and image out of frame is less visible?

I solved it for now by transparent box and thick red border and caption... but too much work. Some better and faster solution, please?

16 Replies
Leslie Eldridge

Bruce Graham said:

You COULD try using the "Frame" shape, playing around with the size and position, (you may have to go outside the slide borders, as below), and then set the opacity levels to make it see-through, but it is not a very elegant way to do this. Might work for you.

How you achieve it? You have put an shape with transparency 70%, then you have put another shape over with tarnsparency 100%,,, or? I can't get it to true based on your suggestion, please explain!

Leslie Eldridge

Thank you to both of you...

When we talk about some future features of Storyline I would suggest also better "preview" option when a user edit and processing single slide; I noticed that some object on slide during preview appears differently than it 's on timeline and even on timeline is a little gap some objects are visible always on screen even during scene preview they are "on the right place" For "noobs" it's very "disturbing" and force them to correct something what is already OK but not visible so in slide preview.

Bruce Graham

Leslie Eldridge said:

Thank you to both of you...

When we talk about some future features of Storyline I would suggest also better "preview" option when a user edit and processing single slide; I noticed that some object on slide during preview appears differently than it 's on timeline and even on timeline is a little gap some objects are visible always on screen even during scene preview they are "on the right place" For "noobs" it's very "disturbing" and force them to correct something what is already OK but not visible so in slide preview.

The main thing here, (if I have interpreted you correctly...), is to always make sure your Zoom is set to 100%, (View > Zoom).

If you do this, the 2 x views should show up the same.

Dan Schwartz

Just want to point out that all the suggestions for obscuring sensitive text in a video with an image overlay of some sort can only be done with a video file that's imported directly into the project. Video that is embedded as a link from an external server can't be placed behind other layers. If there is a way for Articulate engineers to enable layering on top of embedded video, that would be HUGE!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.