Replay slide from beginning with the replay icon on the seekbar

Feb 20, 2014

Hi, 

Most of the slides in the course consist of enumeration items, so , when re-visiting, I've set the slides to "Resume saved state" so the students can see the full list right away. So far so good.

The problem is, when revisiting slides,  if they want to listen to the audio again, the little replay icon on the seekbar does not work.  They have to click at the beginning  of the seekbar and then click play.

Is there a way to reset to initial state when the students click on the replay button?  I think that this would be the expected behavior.

Thank you for your help and suggestions on this issue.

8 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Solange,

The replay/rewind button will work based on how you've set the slides revisiting properties as described here:

• Automatically decide: This is the default choice, and it means Storyline will decide automatically whether to rewind the slide or not. Here's the logic: If the slide contains just simple objects and/or audio but no interactivity, Storyline will rewind the slide to the beginning of the slide’s timeline. However, if the slide contains any interactive elements, such as buttons or any other object that includes a visited or selected state, Storyline will not rewind the slide.
  • Resume saved state: This option will always prevent the slide from rewinding.
  • Reset to initial state: This option will always force the slide to rewind.

Since you'd like to replay the audio only, you may want to look into including a button on the slide to play the audio so that the user could come back to the slide and play the audio again. 

Solange Richard

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your answer,

I want them to navigate from where they left off (resume state) by default.

But,  I want them be able to restart the slide from the beginning if they wish (audio and animation).

For example, I just finished the presentation and I click back, all I see is the slide as it was at then end.  

But, if I click replay, it starts again from the beginning.

How can I achieve that?

Thank you.

Hi Solange,

Using the built in "replay" button you'd need to adjust your revisiting properties as mentioned. If you're looking to set up something a bit more custom you could add in a button on that slide that would have a trigger associated with it to play audio (if it's a video you could allow it to play media and choose the video).  

Solange Richard

Hi Ashley,

This would not work since the audio narration is linked to the the animations on the slide.  I can't just replay the audio without re-playing the whole timeline.   Imagine the narration says... about items 1 ... and then item 2 and now... to conclude.  But nothing happens on the screen.

I would really wish to be able to replay the whole slide by clicking on the replay button (even if it is set to resume state by default for fast back browsing while revisiting slides).

I does not make sense (to students)  that, when they click on  replay, nothing happens.  They report it as a bug.

There is no way to reset the variable to initial state when you click on replay button? 
I know it's done on D2L when the program asked you if you want to resume from where you left of or not.

Hi Solange, 

There isn't a way to add a trigger to the replay button within the player, so you're restricted to the behavior that connects with the revisiting slide properties. You may want to look into removing the seekbar(and therefore the replay button) and either creating your own custom player using the Storyline SDK or custom buttons/progress bars to help your users navigate the course. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.