Grabbing Course Introductions

Mar 18, 2014

Hi Everyone

Would anyone be able to share some exciting course introductions with me that make the learner want to dive into the course. Specifically for business related courses for middle to top management type professionals.

Thanks

4 Replies
Jackie Van Nice

Hi Lucia!

For me, if I really wanted to hit the nail on the head and make them want to dive right in, I'd need to understand who the specific audience is, what the topic is, why the course would be important to that learner, and what the desired result is.

Without all of that I could only imagine a generic intro that might look cool but wouldn't really connect in a meaningful way. I don't know if that helps, but that's the way I'd look at it.

Marty King

Food for thought. Despense with the usual introductory content and engage the learner with a question or scenario that grabs their attention and gets them thinking. I recently built an aerospace compliance course. I opened the course with a black screen and actual cockpit audio from an jet that was going down. The audio ends with an explosion and then a slow fade in picture of the crash scene appears. Compliance training is generally boring so I wanted the user to understand why quality is important to the aerospace industry. You can do the same thing with an opening scene involving a conflict between two employees that requires the learner to chose from a set of actions they might take. You tgrab their attention and ask them to start thinking immediately.

Peg Simmons

Hi Lucia

For courses that include complicated concepts I've started with 2 or 3 questions directly related to those concepts to impress on the audience what they don't know about the subject and get's them engaged.

I've also started courses with an introduction narrated by a leader who explains why the course is important and sets the expectation for what is required of the audience.

Hope this helps!

Gordon UBS Lam

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.