Button Sets on Master Slides

Mar 28, 2014

I have a set of buttons on a master slide that I have saved as a button set. The triggers on the buttons go to various slides. All I am trying to do is get the selected state to toggle between the buttons, the primary feature of button sets.

When the user clicks on a button, it navigates them to the correct slide but does not change the state of the button to selected.

However if the user then clicks on the button again, it will change the state to selected. This functionality doesn't work, I need the button to change on a single click.

I tried putting a trigger before the jump to slide trigger, to manually change the state of the button to selected and that did not work.

Help please and thank you.

24 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Matthew,

I wasn't using them on a slide master, but on an individual slide. Since you've set them up on a slide master, I'd like to see how it looks and what triggers you've used - so if you can share your Storyline file that would be great. You're welcome to share it here in the forums, or if you'd prefer to share it privately I can send you directions on how to do so. 

Matthew White

Just as a follow-up. This issue got escalated to the engineers and the answers is that this can not but done using the button set feature.

There's variable trigger work around which I will attempt to articulate (ha) here.

A slide with four buttons, each button has a normal / hover / selected state.

1 numeric variable named Button with initial value 0.

On master slide, each button exists. 4 triggers that launch when timeline starts which change the state of one of the buttons depending on the value of Button variable.

Each button has two triggers:

1 - change the value of the variable Button to its respective value.

2 - Jump to respective slide.

So when the time starts, the Variable button equals the value need to change the correct button to the selected state.

I can produce a quick sample if anyone is interested.

My biggest application for this functionality is when there is audio or when timeline starts triggers for each slide.

MW

Jane Anderson

Ashley, Do I share by attaching my .story file with the paper clip? I'm trying that.  I have 54 slides and would love to have feedback because this is my very first project ever - of any kind.  Right now, it is strictly plain and boring. Now I need to make it fun and exciting - which is where the pizzazz of the software is needed.  

Although there are several others, here is one dilemma that totally has me stumped. There are 5 topics each having 2 or more slides within.  I also put in a couple slides that invites the student to review the topics.  So I say (for example) Click on Values to review.  At that point I want the jump to the first slide in that scene, click through the Values scene then come back to the slide where they clicked Review Values.  Currently, there's a correct jump to the Values Scene but instead of stopping at the last Values slide and going back to where they clicked Review, the slide in the next sequential scene continues the course.  

I realize all of you who are experts are probably already on work overload - but for anyone who has time and wants to critique and advise, I am eager to learn from you. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Jane,

Yup the paperclip icon is how you load up a file here - and it looks like it attached. I'm happy to take a look at your course, although my experience is more in troubleshooting than instructional design.    You're also welcome to start a new thread here in the Storyline forums or the Building Better Courses forum to share your file and ask for any advice, feedback, etc. 

In regards to your question though, you could control this behavior using a variable. What I would do is for each topic set up a T/F variable that has an initial value of False. You will want to adjust the variable from False to true on your menu slide when the user clicks each topics button (before the jump to slide trigger) and then you'll also need to include an additional "jump to slide trigger" for the end of each topic that it should jump to your menu slide if the variable is equal to True. Keep your regular jump to slide next slide trigger, and just make sure this new trigger appears before it.  That would allow the user to return to the menu slide each time instead of continuing through the course sequentially. 

Jane Anderson

I can see that it's time to put on a new hat and figure out this variable thing. It sounds really difficult but it also sounds perfect for the solution. I thought it might need to be something in changing tbe state - but all the reading about that didn't seem to make sense for this situation.

I will try to get feedback as you recommended  Thank YOU!.  I hate asking for time from anyone, but I will reciprocate as soon as I can. 

I just noticed you have 11,460 posts. That is AWESOME! That's a lot of troubleshooting!!

Ulises Musseb

Hello:

I know this was posted a year ago, but now is when I am in need to set a button set in the slide master. I tried Mathew's suggestion and it works but only partially. The button doesn't set to selected in the first slide (the fisrt button in the navigation) when I return from any other slide.

I set the first button default state to selected, I set the variables (I think) as Mathew describes it, but no luck with that one button. Any suggestions? Any samples available? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ulises Musseb

Thanks, Leslie. I needed a little more than what Matthew posted. His example was addressing visiting only one slide from the button set in the slide master, and I needed the buttons in the slide master to visit scenes with different slides in it. It was a little more complex, but I figure it out.

I know this post is old, but I'm attaching an example for in case anyone needs it in the future.

Vincent Scoma

Hi Max,

Happy to jump in and provide additional context! 

That is correct, Phil was referring to using a variable which can have many different uses.  As an example, variables can be used to collect and store information such as a learner's name or a numeric value. They can be applied anywhere throughout a course to present dynamic content based on those values. Lastly, variables are also a great way to add conditional interactivity to a course.

For more details on working with variables, these resources are a great starting point: 

Please let us know if you have any questions! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.