printable certificate

Apr 11, 2014

My client wants to be able to have learners input personal data and have some of that print out on a certificate of accomplishment. Can Storyline do that and how?

12 Replies
Justin M

As far as I know, Storyline does not have a clean way to print a certificate.  You can set up a certificate slide, but printing is done via a screen print and that doesn't look very professional.  I'm told that it can be done if you know how to write code and set up some custom scripts, but that is really outside the scope of Storyline.  If you find out otherwise, I'd like to know (:

Gerry Wasiluk

Be interesting to see the custom code.

Here's what I do for a client with an external facing LMS who, as a result, needs to support many different browsers and iPads (I'm also pulling the learner name from the LMS and locking in the date the course was passed.). 

I've not found a "universal solution" that works for every one of those cases so I'm doing a broad approach as best I can for now.

So on the certificate, I have a print button that executes this simple JavaScript print command:

(It's interesting to note that while this command works in FireFox, the certificate doesn't print right.  Doing CTRL-P in Firefox does work right.)

So when the certificate displays for the first time, I use a trigger to bring up two lightbox slides to display printing help info:

Hoping someone has some better ideas.

Nadia Field

We had a similar issue with printing, in that IE8 prints it out ok, but earlier versions did not. We got around this by adding an instruction to the screen telling delegates to right click on the certificate and select Print.

To create the certificate requires setting up variables. So you will firstly need a screen that asks for delegate name etc (by way of a text box that they can type into). You then need to create variables for each text box, and add these variables on the certificate.

The date can be added using a trigger with a Javascript code.

Hope that helps!

Nadia

:o)

Gerry Wasiluk

Rick Sell said:

Gerry,

Nice look and good idea to put in directions. How do you get the data into the file and positioned? My clients need name, work place, employee number, course name, and date all on one page.

Hi, Rick!

I've documented for my client how I did this.  A copy of that doc is attached below. 

The doc includes the JavaScript that I used.  I have to thank fellow Super Heroes Steve Flowers and Phil Mayor for some of the code. 

I wanted to capture the learner name and completion date and be sure that data was recorded in the LMS so if the learner went back later to review the training from their completions, the completion date shown was the actual completion date (and not the current date the slide was being reviewed).

Here's an older thread where they discuss retrieving name from the LMS:  http://community.articulate.com/forums/t/15117.aspx

For course name I hardcoded that into a text box on the certificate.  Not sure what other LMS learner data elements are available for retrieval into a Storyline variable. I only needed learner name from the LMS and then the current date.  Let me reach out to Phil and Steve on this.

One note on this solution.  This was for a Saba LMS.  One challenge with this method in that LMS is if you later update the content with a new version of the course.  Because of the way Saba works, it will "wipe out" the variable data for all completions (Saba will think it's a "new" course).  So learners who go back to their completions will not see their name and completion date on their completion certificate.  The solution for this is if you need to update a course later is to create a new course offering (in Saba lingo, a new instance of the course being offered).

Hope this helps!

Theresa Ryan

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious about using this method with just AO and no other LMS. I went through the steps in the PDF and it mostly worked, but won't ask for the LearnerName (date works) or actually print anything on the page (it shows the certificate on screen & WILL print with right-click, but still no name on the cert).

I'm guessing it's a change in the Javascript code, but I'm a novice at that, so I'm not sure where else to look. Thanks!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.