iPad Air Story Size?

May 19, 2014

Hi

I've been following this thread and I've tried many of the suggestions and my story (without a menu) still doesn't fill the iPad screen. Any new suggestions? Thank you!

18 Replies
Hassan Mujtaba

Hi Nicole,

990 x 540 or 990 x 542. This should work well for  iPad-Safari combination.

Note: it is also depends on what player tabs (Menu, resources, Glossary etc.) have been added on topbar and what other features (navigation buttons, seekbar, volume control) are there on bottom bar. 

990 x 540 works on iPad-Safari with title, menu, resources tabs on top, next, previous and volume control on bottom.

Thanks,

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Nicole,

When designing a Storyline course that'll be viewed on an iPad, you'll want to use a 4:3 aspect ratio in order to make the best use of all the screen area. The default story size of 720 x 540 is your best option. However, as long as you maintain a 4:3 aspect ratio, you can change your story size to 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, etc.

If you use a different aspect ratio, Storyline will maximize (scale) your content to fit within the iPad screen to prevent scrolling and provide the best experience possible. Also, as Hassan mentioned the size will also depend on player elements you've added - and this is for mobile Safari. 

Hassan Mujtaba

Nicole,

1220 x 840 If course does not have Standard Next and Previous buttons

1220 x 768 If course has Standard Next and Previous buttons

I believe the content would always appear in a wrapper (the dark grey one). I also tested some other Storyline demo courses (https://www.articulate.com/products/storyline-showcase.php) and all appear inside the player wrapper. 

Thanks, 

Hassan Mujtaba

Nicole, Aspect ratio is not 4:3 as recommended by Articulate. I don't know why 4:3 is recommended even? It doesn't assure best use of screen real estate whether published for Safari or Mobile Player. Ashley can we get some input on this please?

I only tested 1220 x 768 on iPad Air, so if you are targetting other iPads, I would suggest testing on those  as well.

Good luck.

Hassan Mujtaba

Hi Ashley,

I totally agree that iPad has 4:3 aspect ratio and  we get better display result as compare to 16:9. However, if we want a course which should be using all available width and height, we have to go for some custom size/aspect ratio. I have observed that both on Safari and now iPad Player.

Am I missing something important? 

And once again, thanks for your feedback

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Hassan,

I understand now what you're describing in regards to all the available width and height, sorry I was missing that before. The 4:3 aspect ratio is best for overall display/clarity issues - so if you're more concerned about overall screen real estate, you may need to play with the sizing more to see what works for your particular content keeping in mind how Storyline will scale it. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.