Quiz question states.

Jun 12, 2014

If I select the "pick many" option for a quiz question, the choices selected "glow" when chosen.  I would like to duplicate this state in the "pick one" type quiz question.  Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

18 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Lori,

You can certainly add the glow effect to the objects in your "Pick One" question. 

First, I'd recommend taking a look at our tutorial on states:

Adding and Editing States - E-Learning Heroes

To add the "glow" for one of your selections in your "Pick One" question, select the object on the slide. 

Click on the "States" tab, that's over the timeline, at the bottom of the window.

Now, you should see at least the "Normal" state for the object. If you already have a "Selected" state, you can skip the next step. 

Click on the "Edit States" button and select your "Normal" state - now, click on the "Duplicate State" button. Name this new state "Selected".

You should now have at least two states, "Normal" and "Selected".

Even if you already had a "Selected" state, you'll want to make sure you click on "Edit States" at this point, so they're unlocked.

Click on the "Selected" state in the States window. You should now be able to select that specific version/state of the object in the slide itself. With the object selected, click on the "Format" tab along the top ribbon. 

From here, click on the "Shape Effects" drop-down menu. 

From here, you can add Glow, Shadow and more options to your object. Select the effect you'd like to use. 

Tip: Click on the image above to view a larger version. 

Once you're finished, just click on "Done Editing States". 

Your object should now have a glow effect (or any other effect you added) when it's selected. 

Let us know if you have any trouble with this.

Best,

Christine

Mary Eldredge

I have a related issue.  I added a glow effect to the Selected state for each of two items on my Pick One question.  The problem is that one item won't stop glowing when the other object is subsequently picked.  In other words, object 1 glows when it is picked.  If I then pick object 2, both objects are now glowing.  If I again select object 1, object 2 stops glowing.  Clearly there is something different about the 2 objects, but I can't figure out what it is.  I would like only one object to glow at a time so that the learner can see which object has been selected before the answer is submitted. 

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the community!

It sounds like they're staying selected - if that's the case, you may want to add some triggers that change the state back to normal when another is selected. 

If you'd like, you're welcome to share your .story file here. I'd be happy to take a look and see what's happening. Just keep in mind that the file size limit for attachments is 20MB on the forums. Also, if there's a lot of content in your course, it might be best to just import the slide with your interaction into a new Storyline file

Best,

Christine

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Mary,

No problem - if it's not working on another device, though, it may be due to a firewall. 

You're welcome to try uploading here. Just be sure to add ::christine:: to the description. If you'd like me to, I can share the file in this thread once I receive it. This way I, and other community members, can take a look. 

If that still doesn't work, you could try adding it to a site like Dropbox and you can share the link for the file here. 

I hope that helps!

Christine

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Mary,

I apologize for all the trouble sharing the file - however as you'll see, it makes it so much easier to find an issue when we can see the file :)

I took a look and noticed right away that I couldn't see the states for the objects when they were selected in the slide. Looks like they are grouped. 

Because they're grouped, the selection state works a little differently. By un-grouping them, you'll see the behavior you want - only one object at a time remains highlighted. 

I'm attaching the modified version, just in case you want to take a look. If you have trouble downloading here, please let me know and I'll send it to you via email. 

Thanks!

Christine

Christine Hendrickson

Awesome! I'm glad that works for you :)

When it comes to question selections or state changes, I usually try to stay away from grouping. 

Now, if you have an object that contains multiple elements, you can also save that entire group as an image. That way, you have one solid object and you can go crazy with states :D

I hope you have a wonderful Friday, Mary!

Christine

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.