Keeps Reverting to Default Feedback

Jun 16, 2014

Hi!

I have repeatedly unchecked the "Provide feedback for graded questions by default" box (and saved) on a quiz I am working on, however every time I re-open the quiz that box has re-checked itself and numerous questions are now providing feedback, which means I have to manually change all of them, then uncheck that box again, only to have it happen yet again.  Is there some other setting I must change to make this setting "stick?"

Thanks very much!  Below is the screenshot of what I keep okay-ing.

Jean

12 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jean,

I'm afraid I cannot tell which version of Quizmaker you're using from the screenshot, but at this point, I don't think the version will make a difference :)

It could be a number of things, but first I think it's a good idea to see if it's just an issue of saving the file. 

Please make sure that you're working with local project files:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

If you are working with a local quiz file, please be sure to check the file location and name as mentioned above. Sometimes it can help to save the file under a different name. For example, you could use the "Save As" option from the Articulate menu, save the new quiz to your desktop and name it "Testing". Open that file, change the option for just one of the questions. Close the file and then open again. Did the changes save this time?

It may also help to create a new file and see if the same thing happens. 

Please let me know how it turns out.

Best,

Christine

Jean Donaldson

It's still happening but I'll just live with it, and check/switch them all manually at the end before publishing. I have another issue (should I start another thread?) that's more vexing. In an Engage interaction (FAQs with some jpg images), once published, it opens fine the first time but once I close the interaction all subsequent attempts to open it get me this blank (screen cap below). Any ideas?

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jean,

Sorry to hear that you're still running into the saving issues - if you decide to revisit that, please let me know.

Also, we just released Studio '13 Update 3 - you may want to try installing the update to see if this helps with some of the issues you're running in to.

Click here toview the list of changes made in the new update.

Click here to download Update 3.

For the interaction issue, it looks like this is happening when you preview. Is that right? I see the Presenter logo in your taskbar as selected, but I do also see that Chrome is open.

Is this happening when you preview or after you publish? If you're viewing your published files locally, this may be the problem. If you view a published Studio '13 or '09 presentation on your local hard drive or send it to someone else to view on their local hard drive, you'll encounter security restrictions from the computer, web browser, Flash Player, and network that'll cause various features of your content to fail.

To properly test your published content and share it with others, upload it to the environment for which it was published. Please review the article below for more information:

Tips for Managing Project Files

• I suggest using SCORM Cloud for your course - it's a great place to test SCORM content.
  • Another option would be to use our Tempshare server. Just keep in mind that this server is only available for testing content - it is not officially supported by Articulate and all content will be removed automatically after 10 days.
  • You're always welcome to try out Articulate Online, as well - it's available for a free 30 day trial.

If this is happening when you're previewing, it really may be best to share the file with us for testing. It looks like the file is fairly large, however. If it's over 20 MB, an Articulate Package won't attach to the forums. If that's the case, please let me know and we can discuss other options for sharing the file.

Thanks!

Christine

Jean Donaldson

Hi Christine,

Thanks very much indeed. I have downloaded the updates, and this problem has persisted. It's published to CD (i.e. not a preview). I'll try burning it to a CD to see if the problem disappears.

So, just to clarify, Chrome shouldn't be open when I view published files? Should I close down all other applications as well?

Thanks,

Jean

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jean,

I apologize for not being more clear - I just wasn't certain if you were viewing the published version via Chrome, or if you were previewing in Presenter when this was happening.

If you're running via CD published output, are you running the .EXE file or the HTML file? If you're not already doing so, please make sure that you're running the .EXE file from your local hard drive (and not a network drive, or any other external source. Also, make sure that the output is not compressed in a zip file - if it is, make sure that you're extracting the files first.

Please let me know how it goes!

Christine

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jean!

If you haven't already, I'd suggest avoiding the use of "Launch Presentation" at this point.

Try navigated to the save location and manually launch the .exe file. I think that the launch feature automatically uses the HTML file and that may be contributing to it.

If that doesn't work, we may need to check out the file itself.

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jean,

I sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. I was under the impression you were using the "View Presentation" option that appears on the publish successful prompt:

Again, sorry for the confusion!

At this point, it would be test to take a look at the file itself. Are you able to share the file using the method I mentioned earlier in this thread?

Thanks,

Christine

Jean Donaldson

Right! Gotcha. The problem is there in both instances ("View" from dialog box, and "Launch" from red icon in folder). If I exit and re-start the presentation it unfreezes it and the Engage culprit is back to life again but it'd be great if it didn't freeze like that in the first place with that blank screen. I know students will find it aggravating.

I'll report back on how it plays on other machines.

Cheers,

Jean

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.