ELH Challenge Ideas - Share your challenge ideas!

Aug 28, 2014

Hi All,

I put this thread together so that we can share our E-Learning Challenge Ideas. Please comment with your ideas for future challenges!

The ELH Challenges are weekly challenges that take place through the Community Blog. We are given a challenge such as "create a virtual tour" or "create a custom drag and drop" using PowerPoint or Articulate and then we share our project with the group. (We have also done challenges in other formats like pen and paper!)

http://community.articulate.com/blogs/david/archive/2014/08/24/elearning-challenge.aspx

Melissa

25 Replies
Jackie Van Nice

Yeegs. A group challenge! :-O

Though I'd love to hear what others have to say, as someone who tries to knock out whatever challenges I can between ongoing client work and in place of sleep in the wee hours of the morning, it's hard to see finding the time it would take to work collaboratively on a creative venture with other equally-busy people - but that's just my take on it.

Cary Glenn

My brother has done 12 hour and 24 hour comic challenges. All the comic creators all start their own project at the same time they have one hour to draw a page after the hour you pass your comic on to the person on the left of you and they pick up where you left off and you start working on the comic of the person on the right of you. You continue using the same characters and build the plot from there in your own style. There might be a way to do something similar here.

Tim Slade

I just taught a Storyline class and I was talking about importing Engage projects into Storyline; however, I mentioned that you can easily recreate them on your own in Storyline if you wanted to. Maybe we do a challenge to have people recreate their favorite Engage interaction in Storyline?

Of course, this assumes that those who participate have Storyline or the trial.

David Anderson

@Tim - I'm a big fan of recreating an existing project. We did a timeline deconstruction challenge last year and I thought it went really well. I'll add your Engage idea to the challenge ed cal.

@Cary - I'm really into that kind of challenge for our workshops. Do you think it could work virtually? How?

@Jackie - I think it could work but I hear you re: time and scheduling constraints. The risk is 20 projects get started but only one is completed by Thursday.

Jerson  Campos

@Cary - I've seen something similar but with animation. Back when I took some animation courses, there was a group project that was passed around. Each student had to come up with a 10 second animation based on the last frame from the previous animator. Maybe we could do something similar. Come up with with 3-4 slides for a course but only viewing the last slide from the previous developer? Or something similar to this idea. Kind of like playing telephone as kids.

Melissa Milloway

I would say we should do a challenge where we have to integrate social learning into the mix. I just posted an article about it on LinkedIn. I have found that it works REALLY well! I've even given learners the choice to participate or not and most chose to participate.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20140829025916-60919308-5-ideas-for-integrating-social-learning-into-your-curriculum

Cary Glenn

@David I'm not entirely sure. I could see a couple of way we take a group of 5 or 6 people they are given a topic, one person starts it off and then has 24 hours to come up with one slide and then passes it to the next person, and so it goes until everyone has made a slide.

We could also do it with the same group set up where everyone starts a project and has 24 hours to pass on one slide to the next person. In the second version it might be harder to work around people's schedules and if the original topic is something no one else know else knows anything about.

Nancy Woinoski

Jerson Campos said:

@Cary - I've seen something similar but with animation. Back when I took some animation courses, there was a group project that was passed around. Each student had to come up with a 10 second animation based on the last frame from the previous animator. Maybe we could do something similar. Come up with with 3-4 slides for a course but only viewing the last slide from the previous developer? Or something similar to this idea. Kind of like playing telephone as kids.

Bonnie Jeansonne

I am a lurker and I had to create a new profile so hence the 0 post. I will probably start back tracking and work on some of the challenges. Disclosure, I teach k12 online in a public online school. My courses are a year long (120 hours) so I am still wrapping my brain around how to make it all fit. I inherited 3 of them to redo.

Challenges for myself that I have and am working on. If they work as a Community challenge, great.

1) Create a 'credits card' slide or interaction that includes links to your twitter, storyline, screener, heroes thread, website. As a student here, I often want to follow up or find the thread or add you to my twitter elearning designer list.

2) High School Make-Over: Take a boring lesson from high school English, History or Socials and make it over. If you want a real challenge, focus on Canadian history.

3) Java or j query challenge or collection

4) Designer Mindset: Course evaluation: How do you know you are done and you don't have to keep going with adding graphics, interactions?

5) Create a non-linear interaction or branching.

6) Shapes challenge. Circles, squares, chevrons

7) Progress bars that are unique but age appropriate. (I have one where each slide makes parts of a cute monster appear. head, eyes etc... )

8) Teen friendly design without it being busy. I have students with various learning disabilities. They are sophisticated consumers but also like simplicity. (solved)

9) Collecting pieces/awards/secret words. The idea is that I can't always control that students do the practice assignments for informal feedback. Many just jump to the final gradeable assignment and will skip/skim the lesson all together. I decided to figure out how to embed a secret word or 'game piece' in the practice sessions. The secret word or game pieces could be part of a quiz that would be untimed or part of the entry to the next lesson or section or module. I don't want to lock it down in the LMS because sometimes students have credit for a learning outcome from an independent studies or are on an IEP.

10) Massive course navigation. (solved for my context but thought you could enjoy it). Design a home slide method for students to track your suite of mini courses of 1 hour each.

Love the community. I also know Captivate for work but use Storyline for my own work. The community is way too good. I am always learning and realize how little I know. Thank-you so much.

Veronica Budnikas

Here's my two cents:

Guess who? Board game: remember the board game where you had to guess who the other guy had, and vice versa? My kids play it now, but it is pretty ancient. Could we recreate in SL? What about other board games? 

Movie credits: When I watch movies I always take notice of the opening credits. Sometimes they are just ‘normal’ but now and again there’s a movie that has really cool credits, either great animation or font or music or something. I have one in mind  that I would love to recreate and I thought I could use it to do some sort of Induction piece, like ‘get to know the team’ (after all, credits are kinda like get to know the team that made the movie, right?). I think this one could be really creative!

David Anderson

Guess Who? Is a huge fave in our home. We play with our kid all the time and recently started making up our own characters. We're using images of family members and planning to move to historical figures. Love that idea!

The movie credits idea is interesting. That would certainly give folks an opportunity to flex their animation muscles.

Adding both to my challenge ed-cal. Thanks, Veronica!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.