Adding SL1 or SL2 to posts?

Sep 19, 2014

Just an observation, but now that Storyline 2 is released there are questions coming into this forum for both versions.

One solution would be to create a new forum so all SL1 questions are in one bucket, and SL2 questions are in another. That doesn't seem practical, not to mention segregates the Storyline community.

However, it might help others distinguish between posts if there was a code of sorts for quick reference. Simple suggestion would be to add "SL1" or "SL2" preceding a post title.

Thoughts? 

8 Replies
Marco Faust

I think that is a great idea!

I also agree that we should NOT separate it.  The two are close enough in structure and functionality that there will be many issues that pertain to both versions.  Also, most current veterans that "grew up" with SL1 will be able to help people that are still on SL1.

But I have already found myself asking on several posts "OK, is this person using SL1 or 2?"  And it isn't always obvious what the answer is, so making the declaration up front would be very useful.

Kevin Thorn

@Rebecca, I don't think we need to do anything directly. When I, or you, or Helena, or Marco, or anyone reading this thread posts a new post simply add a preceding SL1 or SL2 to your title. Similar to how some add "[demo]" to their posts sharing a project.

By "seeing" new posts like that will inform and encourage on by nature of the posts. 

@Helena, not sure separating forums is wise as Marco pointed out. It segregates the community as a whole. There are a lot of discussions not specific to a Storyline version and more about "How do I do this?" or "Need help with design" kind of posts. Also, with as big of a community as this is, one might spend more time in one forum than the other and miss general solutions and tips.

Greg Faust

I agree with the popular opinion in this thread;

1. Specifying (SL1) or (SL2) in a thread title is helpful
  2. Separating SL1 and SL2 into separate forums would be counterproductive

The reasonable thing to do would be to prompt people to specify (SL1) or (SL2) in their thread titles.

When you create a new thread in this forum, the page already prompts you to indicate whether you're posting a question or a discussion. SL1 vs. SL2 could have a similar prompt:

• On the thread creation page, add an additional set of check boxes:  "This post pertains to: [  ] SL1    [  ] SL2"
  • Let the user select either, neither, or both check boxes.
  • Then, automatically append to the thread title (SL1) or (SL2) as appropriate.

Sure, it's not always a relevant detail; however, the people scanning thread titles and answering questions are in a better position to determine whether it's irrelevant than are the people posting questions.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.