How to display the next buton using a trigger ?

Sep 21, 2014

HI,

in storyline, is it possible to display the Next button using a trigger ? 

My need is to force the user to see all the SWF in a slide before jumping to the next slide. To do that I want to make a trigger to display the Next button when the swf is finished or after a certain time.

Thanks.

13 Replies
Ricky Nox

Hi Helena,

to be honest I am a full beginer on Storyline. I have more experience with Presenter. But Presenter has some limits and I want to test Storyline before using it.

So in Storyline I have seen it is possible to add trigger but in the list I can't see "Show button".In fact, triggers seems to control what happened in the slide but not in the player itself.

So I guess to display the Next button (if it is possible) it is necessary to use another possibilities. Perhaps variables as you mentioned but honestly I don't know how to use it.

Do you use variables ?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Eric,

Great news indeed!

So for the player next button - what you'll need to do is first step up a trigger to change the state of the built in next button to hidden when the timeline starts and then, include an additional trigger (with conditions or based on the user clicking on something) that will show the next button. Take a look at this simple example with the triggers. 

Ricky Nox

Ashley,

Thanks to you, I have just discovered the Slide triggers !

Do you confirm that this is available only in Storyline  2 not in Storyline 1 ?

The next step for my project is to use this trigger with a video or a Captivate swf file to display the Next button when video or swf are finished.

For the video I suppose I can use the "Timeline End" condition. But for the Capitvate, I dont know, because the SWF is an interactive exercice where users must click to advance. So not sure that Storyline can receive any information about the progress in the swf itself. 

If you have any idea for this issue, you're welcome.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Eric,

Yes, in terms of hiding the next button as in that file - only SL2. 

Storyline won't be able to receive progress about the SWF - but if you  have an estimate of how long it would take to go through it, you could add an offstage element to appear on the slide timeline at that point, and assign the trigger to that element? It may mean that some users don't interact with the entire SWF or that they've interacted with it and then have to wait...but those are the options you could use from within Storyline. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.