Storyline to Storyline 2 - Massive increase in project file size

Sep 21, 2014

Hi - I had a project built in Storyline (62 MG zipped file) but have recently upgraded. I've just made a couple of edits (no increase in the number of graphics/videos - just typo fixes - and my zipped file size is now 125 MG! What happened? Argh!

17 Replies
Alexandros Anoyatis

@Jane

By "zipped file" do you mean published output? If yes, then it could be that videos in the output are now uncompressed OR far less compressed than with the output from SL1.

In general though, you will find that Storyline 2 does a much better job with regards to .story file size (you can get reductions up to 40%).

Hope this helps,
Alex

Rob Skeet

We have the same problem!!!

We have a project file that has a number of videos in it. it was around 75MB we had to replace all the videos so we deleted them and re-inserted them. now the file is 475MB we deleted all the videos and did a save as and it is still 460MB.  is there a way to purge the project file?

We can't work with it anymore because the file is so huge. Help!!!

Peter Dsouza

Hi Ashley. I seem to have the same problem. I had a course that was developed on Storyline 1 and the .story file size was 255 Mb. The output folder was 75.2 Mb and the zip file was 63.9 Mb.

Now I opened this course file on Storyline 2 and upgraded it. Did not change any slide or add any contents. But after I saved it, the .story file size is now 217 Mb, The output folder is 80.2 Mb and the zip file is 68.3 Mb.

The problem is when I upload the zipped file to Moodle, it says the file size is large and it allows 64 Mb only. We cannot delete any slides in the course. So I also did try other compression software/zippers. Nothing seems to help in zipping the file size less than 64 Mb.

Is there a way in Storyline 2 to compress or reduce the file size?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Best regards
Peter

Debbie Chaddock

I too noticed that Storyline file size did not decrease even after removing video or audio assets. And if you REPLACE an audio or video, then the file size increases as though you had added the new asset without removing the old one.

Merely performing a Save As doesn’t seem to fix the problem.

Here's what worked for me, so I hope it works for others.

SOLUTION:

1. After removing or replacing the assets in Storyline, SAVE the file and CLOSE Storyline (not just the file).
  2. From Windows Explorer (suggest using Details view), note the current file size, and RENAME the file, e.g. filename_BIG.story.
  3. From Windows Explorer double-click the file to OPEN it.
  4. From Storyline, select File > Save As and enter a NEW NAME, e.g. filename_DATE.story.

The new file (filename_DATE.story) should now be smaller than the previous one (filename_BIG.story).

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for popping in to share Debbie :)

Here is the information that we share:

A project file might not immediately shrink in size when you delete a video. Storyline keeps deleted assets temporarily after you delete them in case you need to click Undo to restore them. The good news is your project file will eventually shrink, usually after saving it a couple times. But you can also get it to shrink right away by saving and closing the project file, then re-opening it and saving it again.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.