Storyline 2 Slow Transitions

Oct 01, 2014

Hello,

I have noticed when I convert an old project from Storyline 1 into Storyline 2 and publish it, the transitions are very slow. Has anyone had the same problem?

Thanks,

Mike

23 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Mike,

I see an issue that is reported to our team in regards to a lag in transitioning from a layer to another layer from a project upgraded to SL2 but I'm not certain that's the same issue you're experiencing. Do you have a file that we could take a look at? As always, you can post it here in the forums using the paperclip icon or share it with our Support engineers directly. 

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Since sometimes we use the words transitions and animations interchangeably (I know - transitions are for slides and layers, animations are for objects - but sometimes we forget ) ... I thought I'd mention that some of us HAVE noticed that object animations that were set to very slow in SL1 come in at a duration of 4.00 in SL2, which ends up being quite a bit slower than SL1's Very Slow.

I've bumped mine down to a 2.75 duration.

Belen Ferrer

Hey Mike,

Do you mean that in SL2 you set an animation to .75, but it takes a lot longer than that for it to play out?

In SL1, we couldn't set exact times for animations, only "Medium", "Slow", etc.

Medium animations from SL1 come in to SL2 at .75 seconds (even though I found that in SL1, they play out in about 0.5); Slow animations come in at 2.75; and Very Slow animations from SL1 come into SL2 at 4.00. For my projects, the result is that all my animations in SL2 play out more slowly than they did in SL1.

Hi Belen,

I see that this was an issue you reported while you were a part of the beta, and it looks to currently be by design as SL2 changed a lot of the features and functionality associated with animations. 

Becky, if you have another issue that you reported I can confirm if the same status was set for that one as well?

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Ashley,

The animation conversion is consistent (i.e., a Very Slow from SL1 is always a 4.00 duration in SL2), so I don't believe I would have reported that as a bug. It's annoying, because it's SO much slower than VS, but it's consistent.

The other issue I'm seeing is this: I set an animation for text and an image or shape to occur on the timeline at a specific time, to sync up with audio. During playback, the image comes in when it should, but the text is delayed...shows up a beat or two later. So, I have to nudge it text back on the timeline...to get it to come in at the same time as the image.

I'm curious: is anyone else experiencing this?

Is it because my duration times are relatively slow, e.g., 2.75 secs.

Is it "me?"

Thanks Becky for sharing that here - and now I understand what you're referring to. In regards the animations of two objects not being in sync, I tried to set up something similar to what you described and I saw the animations come in at the same time regardless of the overall slide duration or animation duration. 

Do you have a file you want us to take a look at? 

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Ashley,

Sorry for the delayed reply...can't keep up lately!

It's happened to me on SO many files.

Clarification: it's not just "any two" objects; it's a text box and another object (image or shape). The text box is "the pokey one." I tried quickly to create something for you without any audio, but it doesn't really "show" what I've been seeing.

I'll try to send something along to y'all at some point should that be possible. In the meantime, I don't see anyone else commenting, so maybe it's not an issue in general?

Hi Rebecca,

No worries - it's a busy time of year! 

I looked a bit further to see if other bugs had been reported about this, since there hasn't been other discussion here, and I don't see anything. I see a general comment about SL2 transitions now more closely matching Powerpoint, and therefore the SL1 transitions were considered the bug - so maybe it's not as big of an issue? 

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Tx for checking. I'm sure you'll keep us posted here if anyone else reports.

There's definitely a difference for me between SL1 and SL2, but I suspect it DOES have to do with the new animation timings and I may be tweaking things a little differently than others are. In which case, it wouldn't be something that needed a fix, just something for me to keep my eye on and adjust for.

Frederic Leblanc

Hi guys,

I experienced something similar when I've converted a project frome SL1 to SL2. Once is published (Flash output), slides transitions are lagging a little bit, objects animation too! I particularly noticed that the text characters are "shaking" during the animation or transitions.

Finally, I noticed that CPU is working harder for a SL2 publication comparing to SL1 (same source, same computer). 

This problem seems to be less important for the SL2 preview output and HTML5 ouptut. Would it be related to Flash? I use version 15.0.

Does anyone experienced the same problem or find anyway to fix this?

I wounder if I should migrate all my project to SL2... but this problem make me hesitate...

Thanks for your replies!

Hi Frederic,

I know that there is some difference between the animation timings as mentioned above, and it's a difference between SL1 and SL2 - but I would expect the Flash and HTML5 versions of each to play the same. You'll want to ensure you're viewing it within the intended publish environment and not locally as described here. 

What browser are you viewing your courses in? You'll also want to check that you're viewing in a supported browser documented here. 

karen lam

I tried to animate two text boxes on one slide, one showed up but another didn't show. And I tried to shorted one of the object's duration on the timeline then it both show up with different time but I want both object show up at the same time. Why it is that hard to achieve it with Storyine 2. Any explanation?

Frederic Leblanc

Hello Ashley,

Thanks for your reply.  

I still encount the same problem. in addition to my previous description, I noticed that CPU is working very hard (my CPU fan is often running). I'm viewing published probject with IE11 and Chrome (latest version). Files are on web server (not local). My computer specs and server specs are much better than minimal requirement has described for Storyline 2.

Does anyone else got the same issue?

Hi Andy,

I was looking to see an SL1 file and the same SL2 file for comparison purposes, but understand that it happens on new files as well. Have you been able to test outside of a different server? You may want to look at using one of the options mentioned in this article, or if you're able to share one of your files I can publish and upload there as well. 

Hi Andrew,

I know some users have asked for better performance while editing within Storyline 2, but not specifically viewing the published output. If you're not seeing the lag or issues on all computers, it may be as you mentioned due to the older computers you're viewing it on and as I mentioned I'm also happy to test it.  

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.