How do you remove all confusion?

Oct 25, 2011

Hi everyone!

I have a question.  How do I tell my elearners to exit a presentation so I don't get emails like this: 

"The last screen on the course ask that we click an “X” in the upper right hand corner.  There is no “X” to click to get credit for taking the course, unless you mean the “X” that closes the page."

Here is a screen shot of the last screen of the course, is there something better I should be doing?

14 Replies
David Anderson

Some possible suggestions, but mostly silly ideas

Once your learners take a course or two, they'll know the ropes so you can begin introducing some fun ideas. Here are a couple ideas:

1. Impossible Exit Button (simple Flash code that moves the mouse away from the cursor)
  2. Applause video - okay this video is one I used more than any other conclusion screen. Do a search on iStock for "clapping". Seriously, clients always liked this one. You'll probably want to skip the "Exit Here" label. That didn't go over so well. 50/50 isn't bad.
  3. Ferris Bueler - always a classic sign off. If you find a client who embraces Creative Commons and likes 80's John Hughes movies, you're set.

Have some fun with it and if nothing else, try to mix up the conclusion screens from time to time. It's the last slide your learners see before returning to work. Make it fun

Demo3 Examples of Course Conclusions

Kevin Mulvihill

David Anderson said:

Some possible suggestions, but mostly silly ideas

1. Ferris Bueler - always a classic sign off. If you find a client who embraces Creative Commons and likes 80's John Hughes movies, you're set.

Have some fun with it and if nothing else, try to mix up the conclusion screens from time to time. It's the last slide your learners see before returning to work. Make it fun

Hey David - where do we get the Ferris Bueller video? That's classic and a lot of fun!

Kevin

Wendy A

David Anderson said:

Some possible suggestions, but mostly silly idea

1. Ferris Bueler - always a classic sign off. If you find a client who embraces Creative Commons and likes 80's John Hughes movies, you're set.

@ David ~  WOW!  This made me crack up!  When I'm in the class room and am explaining to the employees about the direction of on-line training for our company, I quite often say, "Don't worry.  It won't be death by Power Point with the teacher's voice from Ferris Bueler's Day Off."  To which I then mimic saying, "Bueler... Bueler..."    AND - The Exit Exit signs are awesome!!  I'm in the aviation industry and there's probably a requirement for a placard with red writing to indicate the exit.

@ Rachel ~ Sorry to say that an intuitive screen probably won't address all levels of "duh" thinkers.  I find though that instead of asking the student with "Please..."  I put the ball in their court to take action with ~ "To receive credit for the course, close the browser window by clicking on the X in the upper right-hand corner."

Good luck!!  :)

Rachel Newman

Awesome comments!  Thank you so much.  You all made my day.   

@Clare, unfortunately, this is a small company and they all know my email address.  I can't hide.

@Heidi, I work at a software company.  We have really smart idiots around here. 

@Phil, I didn't even think about other OS users.  We are required to purchase the same laptops around here, but we do have some rogue sales people that can't let go of their Macs.  So thanks for the tip.

@David, I am totally using the Ferris Bueler exit page.  Also, the Exit - Exit sign is probably the funniest thing I have seen all day!  Thanks for the laugh. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.