New Project - need feedback

Oct 31, 2011

Hi all,

I am working on a leadership project (self- leadership) and one of the things that came up in the meeting was a term called "line of sight" keeping that in mind the client wanted something relating to that.

So I thought of an open road and they need to go on a journey of self-identification, learn new skills and where they are going, that's how the course has been split into 3 modules.

So with that background, i have used some community resources and started to build the course, but somehow I am not satisfied, does feel a little disconnected between modules, should I stick to a standard template? I don't know.

So if you have sometime, look through it and provide some feedback, any suggestions, ideas would be valuable for me to improve the course. I am new at this so be gentle...

18 Replies
Zician Leo

Hi Sid

Firstly, I think your "open road" idea as a concept for "line of sight" is absolutely brilliant - awesome work  

Just a few suggestions from my side:

1. This might be a silly question, but is there a specific reason why there are two title pages in your programme? It seems to me like the first two screens of the programme serve the same purpose.

2. Write a short intro sentence on slide 3 - something to give your learners some context. "For example: In order to be a great leader, you've got to answer the following 3 questions": [show them the graphic] Then, after that you can add something like "We will be addressing each of these questions in sequential order." Or something like that - if you know what I mean?

3. I agree with Heidi's advice about sticking to a consistent graphics style & look and feel. That is definitely going to create a sense of unity within the modules.

4. It might add some value to your course if you add a screen at the beginning of each module to explain the Course Outline. Just a suggestion, but it might help your users understand where they are in the course and what they're about to do. 

This is all just my opinion though Let me know if you agree/ disagree, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. 

Oh and congrats on building an awesome course, by the way :) 

tin C

Heidi and Zician, I took both of your advise and made some changes:

1. This might be a silly question, but is there a specific reason why there are two title pages in your programme? It seems to me like the first two screens of the programm serve the same purpose.

I was undecided that's why I kept both intro slides to get some feedback as to which one to use.

2. Write a short intro sentence on slide 3 - something to give your learners some context. "For example: In order to be a great leader, you've got to answer the following 3 questions": [show them the graphic] Then, after that you can add something like "We will be addressing each of these questions in sequential order." Or something like that - if you know what I mean?

I like this idea, thanks

3. I agree with Heidi's advice about sticking to a consistent graphics style & look and feel. That is definitely going to create a sense of unity within the modules.

I took Heidi's advise and tried to make the slides common with the same style and look using same colors, but still incorporating clip-art and real pictures.

Let me know if you guys like this version. attaching the 2a which was not similar at all.

Zician Leo

Awesome work, Sid! The new modules look so much better  

I do have another suggestion for you on slide 17 of Presentation 1A, if you'd like to take a look - in my opinion the "x and y" graphics might distract the learner's attention from the content a little. I just made some changes to show you what I mean - let me know if you agree? 

The changes made a big difference, congrats! 

Steve Flowers

Hi Sid,

I think it's a good setup for a brief presentation. One thing you might want to watch for is contrast. At the top of the screen, the lighter green and white lose contrast.

I plug my colors into this analyzer:

http://www.colorsontheweb.com/colorcontrast.asp

I plugged yours in and it was a little on the low contrast side. A graphic with a more subtle gradient is attached below to resolve the contrast issue. These colors of green aren't necessarily compatible (the highway sign selection) but it's not too terrible with a contrasting separator.

The other suggestion I have is to try to create a "Safe Zone" margin around the edge and try to focus on strong elements in isolation. The quote you showed on the page below is a strong quote. You might want to try emphasizing strong elements (both text as visual and visual alone) with scale or isolation. I added a subtle drop shadow to the text to set it apart from the background in the example below.

This is a little darker than your original and a bit less saturated. One benefit of this background color (desaturated) is that the foreground elements stand out. The yellow also looks pretty good against this backdrop - this can be a nice way to emphasize / contrast foreground elements.

tin C

Heidi, Zician and Steve thanks for such great advise. I feel more confident now with my design after making that changes and taking your advise.

Zician, yes your slide made more sense and yet made the point I was trying with the graphics. Steve yes I agree that at the top 

the lighter green and white loose a little contrast. I also like the sign ideas and a header for each slide.

Heidi, yes agree with using same font type for title and body like you mentioned. I was not even paying attention to those,a s I was struggling with the main look and style, Now that I have what I needed. I will concentrate on the more subtle stuff.

This is a great community and I hope helps someone else too... you guys are great and thanks again for saving the day Heroes.

tin C

Heidi, well I am very new to this and this is my second project, learning things along the way from wonderful people like yourself. I will definitely like to run it through you when I am in the final stages of completion. which will be many weeks from now and I have a ton of audio recording with my SME over the next 4-6 weeks. 

I don't mind paying as long as its 2 cents and a penny

Dana Dutiel

Hi Sid,

This presentation is awesome...great job.  I really like the hands holding up the different points (I may steal that one).  I only have small suggestions and they are subjective to personal preferences

In Slide 3, I would space things out a little so that "legitimate" doesn't touch the picture 

and in slide 28, add some dark or shading onto the bright orange - It's a little suprising and may take away from the two main points

Again, totally subjective.   

I also really like the line of sight with the car rolling up ..nice touch

Dana

tin C

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone know of any websites from where I can get movies clips. Inspiration and leadership movie clips. I don't want to use YouTube, as there is a possibility that it might get removed by the up-loader, well that can happen with any site, but need some high quality videos that I can embed in my project.

Sid

Mary Lorenz

Are you going to narrate the modules? if so, It is my opinion that there are too many words on a slide.

Consider creating some of the activities in an interaction, or pulling them off and putting them into an attachment if there are many steps,  then have the user report back the result in an interaction. 

I echo everyone's comments on consistent look and feel.I like the graphics yo chose better than the photos.

The layout of the slides could use some polish, they are pretty powerpoint looking....  Break free, ppt is just a tool.  Start with a blank page. Be aware of how your sentences and words wrap and break across lines.

In module two, I like the use of the hands and note cards.

tin C

I just had a quick question,  In my first module 1A, the first 2 slides when I publish the sign pillars are not publishing as the same color but in white. Can someone test it out and confirm, and how can I get it to publish in the same color as I have in my PPT.

Also, how do yo guys put videos in course, do you link or embed it. Which is more effective?

Sid

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.