Favorite PowerPoint Features?

Feb 05, 2011

One of the reasons PowerPoint is so popular is because it's so easy to use - there isn't much you need to know to begin using it. That's probably why so many users often miss the newer features after upgrading.

So I thought it would be helpful to share our favorite and most-used features in PowerPoint 07 and 10. For those using 2003, this will be good ammo to make the case for upgrading

My top 3 features:

1. Slide Masters - the ability to create my own text and image placeholders. Awesome for creating custom layouts.
  2. Selection Pane - there's no way to manage multiple animations and objects without it
  3. Change Picture - simple, but one of the most used features for me.

So, what about you? What are your top features or workflows in PowerPoint?

69 Replies
Carla Stewart

Great question - thanks for starting this one David.

I use a lot of animation in my courses - nothing complicated, but there's a lot going on. I couldn't work without the Selection Pane. I don't always name my layers like I should, but I rely on that feature more than anything.

I also customize the menu bar with my own features and tasks. That's a big one.

Mike Enders

I'm with David on the Photo Effects.  It brings a little bit of Photoshop into PowerPoint and can be a great

way to stylize a course. Combining remove background with drop shadows and a photo filter can make for a fast and cool look.  And I love how the photo effects have controls to further tweak the outcome.

One feature I don't use real often, but love it when I do, is the Edit Points ability for shapes.  Makes for some great fine tuning ability and creative possibilities.

Colleen Brunner

You guys are awesome! I'm doing a PowerPoint webinar next month for my E-learning Team and this will really help!

I am not a PowerPoint expert but I do leverage a lot of what you guys share. The only thing I use a lot that I didn't see is the new cropping features. I love how it lets me see the area I've cropped.

Thank you so much! I'm glad to see others work Saturday nights LOL.

Gerry Wasiluk

All great features.  Add the ability to compress images (and make them transparent), cropping, motion path animations, and easy color corrections and artistic effects, and, to echo David, the selection pane and image replacement.

And one simple feature often overlooked.  The ability to drag and have things off-canvas.

Also, the ability to have add-ins, without which they would probably be no Presenter.