Page 3 of 3 (69 items)

Favorite PowerPoint Features?

User Rank David Anderson

3,204 posts

Posted Saturday, February 05, 2011 at 6:14 PM  

One of the reasons PowerPoint is so popular is because it's so easy to use - there isn't much you need to know to begin using it. That's probably why so many users often miss the newer features after upgrading.

So I thought it would be helpful to share our favorite and most-used features in PowerPoint 07 and 10. For those using 2003, this will be good ammo to make the case for upgrading

My top 3 features:

1. Slide Masters - the ability to create my own text and image placeholders. Awesome for creating custom layouts.
  2. Selection Pane - there's no way to manage multiple animations and objects without it
  3. Change Picture - simple, but one of the most used features for me.

So, what about you? What are your top features or workflows in PowerPoint?

All Replies

User Rank David Anderson

3,204 posts

Posted Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

Hi Alexander and welcome to the community!

PPT2010 introduced some really great features including new video options. Some of those features - including text over video - aren't currently supported in Presenter '09. That's due in part because video is inserted via Presenter's Insert Video option and not PowerPoint.

One option for layering text over videos is to set it up in PPT2010 and save everything as a new video. You can then insert the video into PowerPoint  via Articulate > Insert Flash Movie.

Now, if you're working with Quizmaker, you can easily layer text over video. Here's a screencast on the process: http://screenr.com/Akd

James Brown

452 posts

Posted Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM  

I believe Adobe Presenter can do this, and if I'm not mistaken Premiere Elements can do this as well.  You would just need to swap the green screen out with the video.

Ron Price

223 posts

Posted Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 6:52 PM  

I love a lot of the 2010 graphic capabilities (I was a fan of Microsoft's old Photo Draw program and now they have moved a lot of that functionality into 2010).  That being said - we do not use 2010 (yet) because of all of the training we do with people still in 2003 and even 2000  - we don't to be too many generations ahead of people we are leading.  "When a general gets too far ahead of his troops, he’s often mistaken for the enemy." (some dead person said that a long time ago)

So what I like about any version of PPT is: (without trying to repeat too many of the features already mentioned in this thread)

• "Paste Special"  feature or "save as picture" (the cut out feature in 2010 is way cool, but pasting as a png together with "set transparent color" is an easy work-around.
  • The "End Position" tool for Motion paths (http://skp.mvps.org/)     "I like it a lot!" Lloyd Christmas
  • "Ctrl-D" - I use PowerPoints duplication feature maybe more than any other tool out there.

And the 2007/2010 feature of choice for me has to be "Selection Pane" - the ability to rename objects here is key.

And that's all I got to say about that.

Posted Tuesday, February 15, 2011 at 7:27 PM  

Thanks for the assistance everyone. 

We'll be playing with this and see what we can come  up with.

User Rank Mike Taylor

917 posts

Posted Friday, February 25, 2011 at 5:08 AM  

I haven't used PPT 2010 for very long but my favorite thing so far is the 'Animation Painter'  

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! 

User Rank David Anderson

3,204 posts

Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM  

So I went through the listed features shared in this thread and compiled them into a single "course". Thought it might be a fun way to view the lessons in a course format. Total runtime is 80 minutes.

http://community.articulate.com/blogs/david/archive/2011/02/07/essential-powerpoint-features.aspx

Let me know what you'd add or remove from the "course"

Tom Thomas

48 posts

Posted Monday, February 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM  

Hi, I'm new to E-learning. Of numerous powerpoint options, I feel the ones like master template, picture or texture fill and the set transparent option are advantageous as far as an e-learning pro is concerned. Many other options including these three make Powerpoint a peerless one among the softwares of the same category, (if any exists)

James Brown

452 posts

Posted Tuesday, March 08, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

Just discovered a really nice feature. The ability to record and save your Power Point Presentation in Windows Media Format. Now if Microsoft can come up with a decent video editor they will really have something.

Page 3 of 3 (69 items)