Hyperlink to create an already written email

Jan 09, 2012

Ok, friends. I'll try to make this an easy question. I want to be able to click a hyperlink on a published slide that launches a student's native email. I have used this a ton. My problem is that I want to fill in some information for them.

I want a subject line to be pre-filled and I want to include a list so it would look something like this:

To: (already populated)  jdoe@gack.com

Subject: (already populated)  Warning

Body: (already populated)

Do this

Then do this

Now do this

So here is what I have figured out...I highlight the text I want as the hyperlink...right click, select email, fill in address, subject...ok ok I get that...I also figured out that if I add &body= to the end of the subject I want I can get my email text to auto populate as well, but I can't figure out how to get it to have a "return" so I can make my list...

Can anyone tell me if it is poss to create a list in the field named "subject" by adding some html or something?

I want the email to have returns like my list above...not just a long sentence. All I seem to be able to figure out is how to autopop a really long sentence with no formatting...

23 Replies
Jeanette Brooks

Hi David & Blair,

At the point where you want a hard return in the body of your email, try adding %0d, and then your new line of text.

So for example if I use the following for my hyperlink:

Then when I publish my course and the user clicks on the hyperlink, it'll create an email that looks like this:

(Also, for any others who happen to be reading this and need a quick look at the basics of how to create a hyperlink that sends an email, David's screencast here is a really good one.)

Hope that helps!

SUSMITA DEVISETTY

I am using the following code in the address bar to get some text and body in the email. This hyperlink is on the fail screen of the quizmaker.

Mailto:abc@xyz.com?Subject=Exceeded 2 attempts&body=Hey Coach, I was unable to pass the practice test after 2 attempts. Below is my method of contact along with any details I'd like to discuss.%0dThank you.

And this is the output:
Subject line:  exceeded 2 attempts
Body of email:
hey coach, i was unable to pass the practice test after 2 attempts.below is my method of contact along with any details i'd like to discuss.
thank you.

I am not able to figure out how to get capitals into the code. Can anyone help please?

Jeanette Brooks

Hi Sushmita, that's kind of strange - I wasn't able to reproduce the issue in Quizmaker (nor Presenter) - when I use that same hyperlink text it produces an email with mixed case as expected. You're welcome to upload your project files to our support team so they can take a closer look and help troubleshoot. In the meantime, I did see this post from Lori who experienced a similar issue, and she was able to work around it by branching learners to a Presenter slide if they fail, and inserting the hyperlink on a Presenter slide instead. Perhaps that will help?

Carmen Toro

How can I change the mail subject from an email that is generated from the email button within the Articulate Presenter player templates. We use the Email button with a label "Contact Us" for users to submit questions etc. to us. We want the subject of the email to be prepopulated with the name of the module. Is it possible to do this within the Player Template? Thanks!

Geert De Rycke

Hi all

This something I use in  trigger that launches a java script

It enables you to write an email on the fly in SL

Geert

Static email body

Launch new email message

var email="yourAddress@email.com";
var subject="subject line";
var body_start="How you want to begin your body.";
var mailto_link='mailto:'+email+'?subject='+subject+'&body='+body_start;
win=window.open(mailto_link,'emailWin');

This is a version of a dynamically made email body

Launch new dynamic email message

var player = GetPlayer();
var email=player.GetVar("email");
var subject="Your Subject";
var body_start=player.GetVar("notes");
var mailto_link='mailto:'+email+'?subject='+subject+'&body='+escape(body_start);

* be aware, that the variables email & notes need to be defined in your project

** if you do not escape your body text, the all will be glued together

Mica Bell

Geert De Rycke said:

Hi all

This something I use in  trigger that launches a java script

It enables you to write an email on the fly in SL

Geert

Static email body

Launch new email message

var email="yourAddress@email.com";
var subject="subject line";
var body_start="How you want to begin your body.";
var mailto_link='mailto:'+email+'?subject='+subject+'&body='+body_start;

This is a version of a dynamically made email body

Launch new dynamic email message

var player = GetPlayer();
var email=player.GetVar("email");
var subject="Your Subject";
var body_start=player.GetVar("notes");
var mailto_link='mailto:'+email+'?subject='+subject+'&body='+escape(body_start);

* be aware, that the variables email & notes need to be defined in your project

** if you do not escape your body text, the all will be glued together

The above dynamic version is working well for me for the most part. However, I'd like to include the variable for the quiz score. (Mine shows up in Variables as: "Results.ScorePercent"). When I add the quiz score variable, it does nothing. I'd also like to add a line break between each variable. I tried to use %0d as Jeanette suggested, but it doesn't work for me.  Any ideas?

peter bohlender

Jeanette Brooks said:

Hi David & Blair,

At the point where you want a hard return in the body of your email, try adding %0d, and then your new line of text.

So for example if I use the following for my hyperlink:

Then when I publish my course and the user clicks on the hyperlink, it'll create an email that looks like this:

(Also, for any others who happen to be reading this and need a quick look at the basics of how to create a hyperlink that sends an email, David's screencast here is a really good one.)

Hope that helps!

Hyperlink for email response to questions.
I would like to set up a link to an email for prospective response. Is it possible to ask a few questions within the email that they can check off?
Eric Franckx

Hi all, thanks for this and I realize it is 8 years old - but it was very usefull for me. So I now know how to create an email with subject & body - including Capital letters. I have used Jeannette's script.

I would like to a number of additional things :

- utilize a different emall account than the default for the 

- add a cc or bcc email address

- attach a pdf.attachement

Is there anybody that can help ?

Thank you

Eric

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.