Converting a clinical PPT to e-learning

Jan 16, 2012

I have been given a project to take a very clinical PowerPoint and convert to an e-learning format.  The clinical topic is on Obstetrics Hemorrhage (for non-clinical friends- its pre or post baby delivery bleeding).

There is lots of information in it.  I am very overwhelmed and not sure where to start.  They don't want recorded sound, other than the video simulations they have produced.

Suggestions are definitely welcome... I am having trouble starting...

I think I will break it down into modules/branching, but would love to get your expert takes on it all.  Many of you have been creating e-learning a lot longer than me.

Thanks,

13 Replies
Kevin Marty

Hi Janelle,

How long will the module be? Are the videos simulations or scenarios? Did the SMEs include any quiz  pop quizzes to test for knowledge retention after the videos? Is there a final exam?  You could organized the module around the videos and ask pop quizzes after each. You could arrange them in degrees of seriousness or symptoms.

Another factor is who is this for? Is it for RNs on the Maternal Child unit, or is it for the Emergency Dept staff. Is it for physicians or nurses or both?

A lot of questions I know, so I don't know if this helped. I would almost have to see it.

Regards,

Kevin

Alicia Pennington

Good afternoon Janelle,

I'll have to add a question to Kevin's - what is the objective(s); learning outcomes, of the course or modules?  Without answers to questions, you might consider breaking the subject at least into 2 modules - Pre delivery bleeding and post delivery bleeding. 

What do the videos show?  You might start off with the video and then put the learner in that situation - Your patient is bleeding post-delivery in this fashion.  What do you do next?  Maybe give them options of answers and also allow them to check other "places" before they commit to an answer.  Let them be able to see what their patient's latest blood test results were; let them be able to see the patient's chart of other important information; let them ask a co-worker for help.  After they choose an answer, provide feedback of more than "right" and "wrong."  Your answer led to X and your patient Coded. 

In a dream world you would have time to let your learners make a few wrong choices and then be able to make right choices to save the patient or continue down the wrong path that leads to a bad patient outcome.

Make it a great day!

Alicia

Laura Payette

Personally, I think this is interesting, but it's probably because I experienced fairly severe hemorrhaging after delivering my first daughter. I had no idea that was even possible or what it meant at the time, but I'm sure glad my nurses and midwife knew what to do! They prevented me from needing a hysterectomy. (Sorry if that's TMI for the thread.)

My point is that I'd include some relevant stories/scenarios of what can actually cause such hemorrhaging, what it can mean to the mother, and how to handle the situation for the best possible outcome. Feel free to contact me for more details about my story, but I'd think you can talk to a handful of medical personnel to get relevant details from the medical side and to come up with several good scenarios. I like Alicia's suggestions, too, which could all be woven in.

I keep reading about how IDs need to incorporate more emotional connection to their subject matter; this could be one way to do so. Besides, we all hope for medical personnel who will be caring and compassionate -- if you can help develop some of that through your training, all the better! Good luck!

Janelle Francis

I do have video scenarios that build on each other.  I will have see what the 'customer' wants...

Keep in mind Kevin i only sent you half.  There is another 7 MB that adds to it. Right now that is where the videos are.

I have started by making a block that will trigger a module.   And then they will go to that learning section-  I have at least started, late yesterday afternoon, but ... all the suggestions have sparked my creativity.  I know this draft won't be the final.

Now, if Storyline was ready to go, I could create and publish it..... (hint, hint).

Thank you all so MUCH  for your suggestions. Please keep the me coming.

Kevin Marty

Hi Janelle,

I was trying to open your files, but I couldn't. Everything is in .xml, but I am not sure how to start it. I read what you were beginning with and that may be a good way to go (without seeing it of course). Sometimes when you start it will trigger other ideas.

I am a SL beta tester, and I think you are correct that SL triggers can give you some interesting ways to go

Regards,

Kevin

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.