We have created a Training Request Form that we either ask the SME or "Owner" to complete. However with a new client we walk through the document together. It includes...
- Date Requested
- Target Delivery Date
- Topic Summary
- Why are we creating this program
- What do the learners need to accomplish
- Audiance (who will receive the training)
- # ppl
- Reoccurring time frame
- Suggested Duration
Assessments & Evaluation
- Is certification required
- Regulatory Body
- Name of Certification
- Is a final assesment needed
- Should the final assessment be graded
Tracking & Reporting
- what should be tracked (certification, assessment, training complete)
- SME detail and contact info
I chose the topics with the thought process that it opens doors and creates natural questions and conversation. I don't expect a client to fill it out and automatically be able to create a program but it will give me an idea of what they want. We can then begin discussion on the adult learning, design options, and needs.
After this process I ask a key question... What are the key topics/objectives that must be covered to a maximum of 7. This requires conversation because sometimes it takes massaging, digging and probing questions. I unfortunately don't have the option to directly asses the end learner as they are in transit all across the country so I really have to have good questioning, analytical thinking and problem solving skills.
It is a challenge but one of more favorite parts of the ID process.