Need Camera Recommendation

Feb 14, 2012

We need to buy a camera for an upcoming client visit, during which we need to take photos that will be used in a training course. The whole purpose of the visit is to capture a particular process, which occurs in a warehouse/garage type facility. I imagine the lighting won't be great, so we need to consider not only the camera, but probably also a tripod and maybe an external light or flash? Please let me know if you have recommendations and/or resources we should look at. Our total budget is $750. Thanks!

15 Replies
Rob Anderson

I've had good luck with the Canon T2i and one of these http://www.lightscoop.com/. We've been using the T3i (same as the T2i but with an articulated lcd screen) for imagery and video and our marketing department has taken notice. We no longer go to them for stock company images... in fact they come to us because we make a point to be at every company event and shoot both video and photos. As far as tripods go, get the sturdiest one you can. I picked up a Bogen on eBay for like $50... it can be done.

as far as shooting in such an open space like a warehouse, you may just want to rent a flash from http://www.borrowlenses.com/... that way you have it for your project, but you're not out the serious money it costs for a good one.

Lastly... know your camera. Spend a day just playing around in total manual mode... change the settings and see the results. The camera will keep all of the data for each image when you download so you can review it later. Know your camera!

Hope this helps

Doug Mattson

I have a Sony DSC HX100.  It is loaded with features and does an amazing job in low light conditions.  It is not a SLR (interchangeable lens) but it does have a 30x zoom with image stabilization.  I took it to a Brewer's baseball game and was able to fill the frame from the nose bleed section and the photos turned out crisp and clean.  The full 1080 HD works and looks fabulous.  The cost is between 400-500 and that should leave you with enough to grab some lights.  I love soft lights/soft boxes for lighting...depends on how big of a space you need lit though.

Sue Raffensperger

I have Nikon cameras:  an older D50 SLR, and a newer D300S.  Both DSLRs work great, although the D50 weighs a little less than the D300S.  The 300S will also take D-Movies.  All my Nikor DX lenses work with either camera.  My favorite walk-around lens is the Nikor 18-200 mm VR (virbration reduction.  I have a 70-300 mm lens, but it's not VR, which causes me challenges at the highest zoom levels.

Also have a Nikon S9300 (16 MP) point & shoot that has 18x zoom capability.  It's little, travels very well, and takes great pictures as well as 1080p HD video.

Lynda Stafford

Doug Mattson said:

I have a Sony DSC HX100.  It is loaded with features and does an amazing job in low light conditions.  It is not a SLR (interchangeable lens) but it does have a 30x zoom with image stabilization.  I took it to a Brewer's baseball game and was able to fill the frame from the nose bleed section and the photos turned out crisp and clean.  The full 1080 HD works and looks fabulous.  The cost is between 400-500 and that should leave you with enough to grab some lights.  I love soft lights/soft boxes for lighting...depends on how big of a space you need lit though.

Doug, do you use it for both photos and video?

Rebekah Massmann

We just bought the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V (similar to the one Doug mentioned but less zoom capability and costs less). It may not be enough camera for what you need, but it has some very easy to use yet impressive looking features. My favorite so far is the blur background feature. It's listed as one of CNET's top digital cameras. Takes 3D images and full 1080 HD video as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-digital-cameras/

We just bought it at Best Buy for $299.

Nichole Richardson

If you are shooting in a ware house (awful lighting) You may want to get some umbrella lights you can get some good ones on Amazon for 60.00 for 2 I believe. Also play with the White Balance, the Floresent or Tungston settings will work best. That way you will not get the green hue in all of your photos.

http://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-Photography-Portrait-Continuous-Umbrellas/dp/B003WLY24O/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1330692979&sr=8-7

David Celaya

Most of the camera suggestions are great. The biggest challenge for your dark warehouse setting is going to be the lens, and the lighting. The number one thing I would want to know is, are the shots going to be staged in a set area? Or will you be shooting a moving target (ie walking around the warehouse). If you can set up at fixed areas, then you can get some lights, (those Cowboys look pretty good for 60 bucks!) plug em in, and take a bunch of test shots so you know what your going to get.

However, id bet your going to have to move around from area to area, and moving a lighting set up will be a bit of a pain. Especially with visiting clients standing around. Your probably going to have to open up whatever lens you have all the way and pumping up the ISO. If you can bounce a flash off a fairly low white ceiling, great. But I dont know too many warehouses with low white ceilings

Id also suggest www.lensrentals.com. It not exactly cheap, but you can try out the best cameras and lenses in the world.

Now that I think about it, do you plan on using this equipment a lot in the future? If not, hiring someone to shoot this event might be an option.

konan barbarian
Rebekah Massmann

We just bought the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V (similar to the one Doug mentioned but less zoom capability and costs less). It may not be enough camera for what you need, but it has some very easy to use yet impressive looking features. My favorite so far is the blur background feature. It's listed as one of CNET's top digital cameras. Takes 3D images and full 1080 HD video as well.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-digital-cameras/

We just bought it at Best Buy for $299.

Do You recommend Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V  ??