Resizing marker buttons Storyline

May 05, 2012

Hello all,

I purchased SL 2 days ago and I find it awesome! Works perfect on the iPad and is great step forward!

Is it possible to resize the marker buttons? As Engage import does not work on an iPad I am rebuilding former interactions. I know that I can also use a hotspot but find the marker buttons nicer.

Take care and enjoy SL

John

11 Replies
Jill McNair

Hi John,

Markers buttons are not currently resizable.  But what I find is that Storyline is so flexible, that if you want to use a feature that has built-in limitations, many times you can make your own.

To make your own marker:

1. Draw the shape you want

2. Create a layer with the pop-up contents.  Position the contents of this layer so it will appear in the same location as it would if you were using a marker.

3. Add a trigger to make this layer appear when the user clicks or hovers

I've attached an example from the beta forum that the ever-amazing Jeanette Brooks made.  Here is the comment she made in that post about getting the marker layers to close:

"In that project, I also added a an invisible hotspot behind the red circles so that if the learner clicks anywhere else on the slide besides a circle, it causes any currently open layer to close."

Hope this helps!

P.S. If you want, you can also submit this as a feature request here

John Pieterse

Hi Jill,

Thanks very much for your help and it allows me to work around it. I still made a formal request as I think it could be handy for use with the iPad. Screen is much smaller when you want gto work with maps.

PS. Great clock by the way, reminds me when to eat during playing with SL.

Thanks again and take care,

John

Jill McNair

Glad this helped.  

I thought that was also a cool clock - Jeanette always seems to come up with the greatest images for her examples!   

I too have to reming myself to step away from the keyboard!  

I do think it's important to submit feature requests.   As a brand new product there is a huge list of improvements that they want to make - and they tend to move items higher on the list when multiple people are asking for it.  :-)

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sameer,

The marker animations from Storyline are supported in both HTML5 and on the Articulate Mobile Player app. However, the animations from the markers (the swirls) are not supported in HTML5. For more information on what features are supported in different Storyline output types, please take a look at this comparison chart.

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sameer,

Have you already checked the Private Browsing settings in Safari? You may find that Storyline's HTML5 output doesn't load as expected in Safari if the Private Browsing feature is enabled.

This is a known issue. To correct it, turn off Private Browsing while you're viewing your Storyline content. Here's how.

If you'd like, we'd be happy to take a look at what's happening with the HTML5 version.

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sameer,

Without seeing the file, it's hard to say what the problem may be. Can you submit the file to us in a support case, so we can see what's happening, please?

You'll be able to attach the .STORY file on the second page of the following form:

Articulate Support - Submit a Support Case

Please be sure to include a description of your issue. Please also include the URL for this thread in the form. Also, please share the case number with me. You're welcome to do so here, or in a private message. This way I can follow the progress of the case and update this thread.

Thanks!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.