Drag and drop reset function?

May 17, 2012

Is it possible to trigger the buttons in the incorrect or fail screen to reset the position of the assets in the drag and drop? I looked around in the Forums but found nothing.

44 Replies
Shelley Owens Schaal

I'm having the same problem as Michael. If you reset the initial state, it seems to reset the variable "Attempt Count" as well. So it just keeps going in a loop until the user gets the answer correct.

I'm a bit stumped and don't know if I have to do this manually with my own count variable, but I'm not sure how I increase the value of this variable.

Shelley Owens Schaal

Thanks Noel.

That is what I did, except that I have my attempts on the quiz set to 2 and thus have a Try again layer. I set the revisit state to "Reset to Initial State" when they click the Try Again button on that layer. It just loops. I looked at the variable using %AttemptCount% on my slide and the variable gets reset every time because it increments on Submit, not Try Again.

As a result, my work around right now is to create my own variable for the slide and increment it each time the user clicks Try Again. I have a condition set on the Try Again button to show the same slide if my variable is less than or = to 2. Then when the attempts = 2, I show the incorrect layer instead and send them on.

I would really like to be able to have the correct pieces stay in place and only the incorrect ones snap back to the original position, but haven't been able to do that yet. I may have to put in a bunch more variables to get that to work if my client really wants it.

Kevin Harland

The advice on this page has got me very close to achieving the interaction I need. I have a drag and drop question of the type Shelley described. I allow two attempts at answering the question correctly. When the “try again” button is clicked the dragable items are reset and I use a variable to direct the user to the "incorrect" layer when the number of tries (in my case 2) have been taken. 

However, I only want the answer states of the dragged items revealed after the final attempt. Does anyone know how to only show “incorrect” and “correct” states of the dragged items once the user has had their two attempts at answering the question? 

Frederic Chaplin

Did anyone could achieve this particular behavior without using variables ? 

Shelley Owens Schaal said:

Thanks Noel.

That is what I did, except that I have my attempts on the quiz set to 2 and thus have a Try again layer. I set the revisit state to "Reset to Initial State" when they click the Try Again button on that layer. It just loops. I looked at the variable using %AttemptCount% on my slide and the variable gets reset every time because it increments on Submit, not Try Again.

As a result, my work around right now is to create my own variable for the slide and increment it each time the user clicks Try Again. I have a condition set on the Try Again button to show the same slide if my variable is less than or = to 2. Then when the attempts = 2, I show the incorrect layer instead and send them on.

I think that having the hability to choose if the drag & drop interaction reset itself on "try again" click or if the solution of the quiz is showed at the end should be included in the interface as properties of the interaction.

Rebecca Fleisch Cordeiro

Hi Sajna,

Glad you found it helpful. In case others wander over to this thread, here's a link to a screencast at my YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/refc027 - (that's a zero in the URL...the letter O was taken ) that shows how to reset Drag and Drops when providing 2 or more attempts for the Learner.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.