Page 1 of 2 (34 items)

Exit Button

Alan Beadle

38 posts

Posted Tuesday, May 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM  

Recently I came across this example of an Articulate player.

http://mediaenglishonline.com/engage/blog/presenter/player.html

The player has an "Exit" button that displays a panel with "Cancel" and "Exit now" buttons. The "Exit now" button closes the browser window.

Can anyone explain how this was done?

Thanks in advance for any help!

This post has 0 verified answers

All Replies

User Rank Peter Anderson

10,113 posts

Posted Tuesday, June 05, 2012 at 8:52 AM  

Hey Alan!

Sorry we missed this before, but sounds like you're all set now? Thanks for the update

Joyce Hensen

121 posts

Posted Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM  

In order for our students to get credit in the LMS for courses created in Presenter, the course has to have an exit button and the user has to click there when finishing the course.  I'm not seeing a similar exit button option in Storyline.  Does it need to be created differently (other than just marking the box like you do in Presenter)?  Or is an exit button not necessary in Storyline.  We've got them trained to look for it now, and it will be quite some time (if ever) before our Presenter courses are converted to Storyline.

User Rank Peter Anderson

10,113 posts

Posted Friday, June 29, 2012 at 12:05 PM  

Hi Joyce!

An exit trigger will appear on the last slide of your course, but it really isn't necessary in Storyline. Storyline will automatically fire the information to the LMS when closing the window on a course. 

vivian berger

18 posts

Posted Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 2:47 PM  

I created an Exit button for my Storyline module. When I use it with Windows machine it works as expected, exiting from the module. However, when I run it on an iPad it just sits there is there anything special required? The button I am using works fine going from page to page. I used the following trigger:

User Rank Peter Anderson

10,113 posts

Posted Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM  

Hi Vivian,

When you use the "Exit course" trigger in Storyline, you may find that it doesn't function as expected. Please review this article for reasons and solutions.

vivian berger

18 posts

Posted Wednesday, July 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM  

Thank you for your quick response. I had reviewed the list but I guess I missed that missing bubble under HTML5. I did not see a solution on the linked site.

Is this something that is a restriction somehow from HTML5, just missing from Storyline that is likely to be addressed in the future, or is it just a different expectation with apps?

User Rank Peter Anderson

10,113 posts

Posted Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 11:02 AM  

Hey Vivian, 

Yeah, because HTML5 is still immature and a bit of a moving target, there are certain things that we just weren't able to work in at this point. I would expect its usability to become more robust as it matures, including these kinds of features along the way. 

Posted Friday, August 31, 2012 at 8:14 AM  

Hi Peter,

By default, is there an option available in Storyline to provide Exit button with a message/warning like "you  are about to exit the course....

like in Articulate 09 where, you click the Exit button, there will be a pop-up with Exit Now and Cancel buttons.

similar to that......

dave porter

8 posts

Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM  

how do you create an exit now button  for every slide without creating  a trigger for every page?

calling a lifeline here?

dave porter

8 posts

Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM  

my wife found it, 

but another question.

does articulate, automatically offer "would you like to resume where you left off" Y N  or do we need to create a trigger for this?

User Rank Peter Anderson

10,113 posts

Posted Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 12:37 PM  

Hi Dave, 

Here's how to choose the resume behavior in your Storyline course. That what you're looking for?

Posted Saturday, December 15, 2012 at 1:33 AM  

Hi Peter,

This is going to sound silly, but in the 3 years I have been using presenter, I never realized there was an exit tab.  In saying that, could you point me to where in player options this tab can be activated? 

Thanks,

Katherine

Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 at 7:00 AM  

Good morning Katherine,

You can enable the Exit Tab in the "Player Templates" settings, in the section labeled "Layout":

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thanks,

Christine

Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM  

Thanks Christine! It is funny that I have never noticed that setting. thanks so much for replying

Posted Monday, December 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM  

Hi Katherine,

No problem at all! Let us know if you have any questions

Hope you have a great day and happy holidays!

Christine

kate severson

21 posts

Posted Tuesday, December 18, 2012 at 3:30 PM  

Just so that I understand:  Storyline doesn't have an Exit option in the player like Presenter, but you can add a button on the Master slide or on individual slides to exit the course.  Correct?

Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 6:32 AM  

Hi Kate,

Correct. However, you can add the "Exit course" trigger to any item of your choice (buttons, etc.) and place it on either the master or any other slide you'd like. Though, it may be confusing to learners if it's shown all the time, you might want to have it show on the last slide - unless you don't mind if the learner leaves the course early.

Let us know if you have any other questions

Have a great day!

Christine

Pete Monahan

7 posts

Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 at 2:13 PM  

I've encountered an issue with the EXIT button when publishing for CD. I added the button to the player with an Exit Course trigger, and it works fine... but it doesn't resume properly when I come back to the course... if I used the RED X to exit, it asks me to resume and does so properly... i've updated my Storyline version to the 12/14 update, and it still doesn't work properly. Help?

Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 6:39 AM  

Good morning Peter,

How are you viewing the published content? Are you launching the content from a CD, or viewing it locally?

Also, are you able to share your .story file here so I can take a look?

Thanks!

Pete Monahan

7 posts

Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM  

Christine, attached is a naked version of my .story file... it's on a gov't contract so I can't include all the content... I have it set to prompt to resume upon course exit...

I'm launching it after publishing via the "Launch_Story.exe" file, and if I exit using the "Exit Course" link I placed on the player, it will in fact exit, but it won't prompt upon return. If I exit using the "Red X" in the upper-right corner, it will exit and prompt upon returning.

Exit_Button_test.story
Trish Pini

2 posts

Posted Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 9:53 PM  

Can you please tell me how I can set up an exit button on the last slide that will take our users back to the main course page in moodle.  We have the exit tab at the top of the slide however our users find it hard to find and we have too many users to educate. 

We would like to have a large button on the centre of the last page that acts the same as the exit activity link at the top of the slide.

Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 7:16 AM  

Hi there, Trish. Welcome to the community!

There's a couple of options for you. If you need the user to navigate to the page, you can add a button on the slide and add a hyperlink to that button (on click). You could also add an "Exit Course" trigger to that button. So, it should exit the course and take the learners to the page you wish to show them (the Moodle page, or any other). 

Here's a quick example

In the example above, clicking on the button closes the course and opens a browser window for this thread. 

Here's how I set it up:

Now you can modify some of the options when you add the URL and Jump to trigger, if you'd like, as well.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks!

Trish Pini

2 posts

Posted Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM  

Hi Christine, Thanks for your prompt reply,   We have tried this and I can see in my question I have not been clear in what we are seeking to achieve.   We would like to be able to have the button act the same as the exit activity link in moodle ie,  It closes the presentation and returns the user to the main page without opening a new page.  We have not been able to come up with a solution that does not open a new browser page, and this becomes confusing for the user.   Any suggestions?   I was hoping there was a java script I could put in an action on a button in storyline.

We have both storyline and studio and are happy to do in either?

Thanks

Posted Friday, March 22, 2013 at 6:14 AM  

Hi Trish,

First, I'm afraid I won't be able to help with the JavaScript request. Maybe one of our talented community gurus can help out with that and let you know if it's a possibility. 

I apologize, I misunderstood what you were trying to do. Is the course launched in a new window from Moodle? If it is, you should be able to use a similar trigger set up that I mentioned earlier (in Storyline), just leave out the Jump to URL trigger. You should be able to apply the "Exit Course" trigger to the button, so that the course window closes. If that window is open over the Moodle window, the user should see that again, once the course is closed.

Would that work for you?

Posted Friday, April 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM  

I set up a custom exit button in a project but it doesn't perform as I would expect?

I created a Storyline Scorm test package and uploaded it onto Moodle. The Moodle course settings were configured to launch the content in a new window. At the end of the module, when clicking on the custom exit button all that would happen is that the course content would end, but the window would remain open!

I then get a message in the window saying "The content has ended. You may close this window."

I was hoping the content would end and the window would close all at the same timel! Has anyone come across this before or know how to get the window to actually close?

Cheers, Bill

PS. I looked at the link at the top in post #1 and it tried to download a trojan!

Page 1 of 2 (34 items)