How do I make sure all screens have been visited. no LMS

Mar 09, 2011

I am working on a module that introduces a new GUI to our customers. Rather than make it a page turner I have created a 'menu page' of a screen shot and placed hyperlink boxes on it inviting learners to click on the various areas and learn about the feature. As they click on the link it hyperlinks to a ‘content’ slide that either has a simple image on it, or is set up as an engage covering a number of points or includes an embedded flash movie (from Captivate 4) demonstrating the new functionality.  When the slide is done it takes them back to the menu page. What I'd like is to be able to tell them how many more areas they need to click on to complete the learning, but not force them to if they choose to skip an area. My current solution which is far from elegant is to give them a ‘press to check’ button which takes them to a slide that contains clearly labeled buttons with links to each of the ‘content’ screens

11 Replies
Brendan Strong

Could you add an "Introduction" overlay that calls out the number of buttons - much like you have mentioned already. It is far from elegant, but if you use the technique of "telling them what you're going to tell them", you kill 2 birds with one stone:

You've focused their attention

You've explained that there are X items they need to view

Another option, but I don't know how technically difficult this could be, is to create the whole thing as an Engage interaction (labelled graphic). Only show the "Next Slide" button once they've viewed all items, but customise it to read something like "You've seen everything". In Articulate, they can still progress to another Interaction/Quiz using the Forward button or side menu (you don't have to restrict their navigation), but at the same time they can tell whether they have viewed everything on the slide.

Gerry Wasiluk

I'm just completing a course that we wanted folks to view every slide but we used this widget.

We told learners upfront they could wander the course as they would like (we treated them as adults) but they had to visit each slide before they could take a comprehensive final quiz.

We then used the widget (the one that did show hidden slides) to display for the learner any unviewed slides on the second-to-the-last slide in the course (the last slide was the quiz itself). 

Once all the slides had been viewed, then a button is revealed on that slide that takes them to final quiz.  The final quiz slide itself was hidden in the navigation so it would not earlier show up as a slide the learner had to visit.

So far, it's working really well in beta-testing.

Gerry Wasiluk

Alan Montague said:

Gary,

That may be my solution...

I might even be able to persuade them to part with $25!

One question.

How do the thumbnails look for not 'standard' slides?  Most of my content is engeages or Captiavte created Flash Movies.

Alan

Hi!

Here's a pix of what they look like--note that we put the slide in slide-only view mode.  Fairly good size with that.  Inserted movies come in with the AP video placeholder image on the slide, Engage interactions and Quizmaker quizzes use the first "slide" of each.

The text at the top is the space you have to add any directions on the PPT slide, which we did here. 

When the learner has viewed all the slides and comes back here, the text at the top becomes hidden with a gray box and the thumbnail area below becomes transparent so any PowerPoint material you have there now shows through the widget.  In this course, they then see this (with a clickable PPT button to the hidden quiz slide).

Gerry Wasiluk

Alan Montague said:

Ah  so close... I'm thinking that the AP Video placeholder is likely to confuse my viewers more than my other solutions.

Thanks to all who have given ideas so far, I think the simplest may prove the best,  just tell them how many places they need to visit up front.

Alan

Sorry--hoped it would work for you.  We don't feel that's a stopper for us.  The important thing is the learner know what slides they missed. Even the text slides are not that trreadable--just an indicator.  For the video placeholder slides they will see the video when they click on such a thumbnail slide in the widget.

Simon Perkins

You've got some cool looking slides in there Gerry!  

One question about that widget (which I think I know the answer to): what happens if your course has open nav that allows the learner to explore chapters however they wish?  Surely this means that if they visit the "completion check" slide by let's say skipping to (and completing) the last chapter, then they will be able to visit all those "missing" slides without having to go through them in an order that might be beneficial to them?

You could argue that the course should be designed to restrict nav, but that sometimes "goes against" the more advanced learners.  Likewise, some slides (IME) are static duplicates of otherwise animated versions (long story) - and I guess the learner would have to visit both of them via the "slides you missed" widget (if they didn't see them first time round) and might find it irritating to double up like this.

Change the ID?  Hmm, maybe the only way ... but I guess overall this is a pretty useful widget.  And it's only $25.

Gerry Wasiluk

Simon Perkins said:

You've got some cool looking slides in there Gerry!  

One question about that widget (which I think I know the answer to): what happens if your course has open nav that allows the learner to explore chapters however they wish?  Surely this means that if they visit the "completion check" slide by let's say skipping to (and completing) the last chapter, then they will be able to visit all those "missing" slides without having to go through them in an order that might be beneficial to them?

You could argue that the course should be designed to restrict nav, but that sometimes "goes against" the more advanced learners.  Likewise, some slides (IME) are static duplicates of otherwise animated versions (long story) - and I guess the learner would have to visit both of them via the "slides you missed" widget (if they didn't see them first time round) and might find it irritating to double up like this.

Change the ID?  Hmm, maybe the only way ... but I guess overall this is a pretty useful widget.  And it's only $25.

Thanks!  I keep getting inspired by the likes of Tom, Jeanette, David and countless others here who post examples.  The old quotation about standing on the shoulders of giants.

Yes--that is a possibility--someone can go right to the end but the slides are presented in order in the widget (minus the ones already viewed).

We suggest they go through in order at the beginning of the course but its up to them.

In reality, the majority of folks probably will go through in order--too busy to do anything else.  But for those who want to explore, we let them.

At least so far . . .  the course is still in review and the client could change their mind.  Fortunately our senior VP hates courses with restricted navigation.  she's a reader and hates it when narrated courses force you to wait for the narration to finish before you can move to the next slide.

onEnterFrame (James Kingsley)

Alan Montague said:

Ah  so close... I'm thinking that the AP Video placeholder is likely to confuse my viewers more than my other solutions.

Thanks to all who have given ideas so far, I think the simplest may prove the best,  just tell them how many places they need to visit up front.

Alan

Hey Alan,

Tell me what you have you in mind and I will see if I can build it.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.