storyline slide timer

Aug 08, 2012

Can I track how long it takes the user to do something on a slide?

1. Duration they stay on a slide.

2. How long it takes before they click an object.

I'm sure it would be tracked using variables, but I can't find where that duration might be being tracked so I could write it to my variable.

Thanks,
Heather

25 Replies
Adrian Dean

Hi Heather,

Take a look at this thread. It deals with adding Google Analytics code to your story.html file. It won't really track how long they spend on each slide, but if your project is on the web, you'll get an idea of how long they stay for the whole thing. If you have an Articulate Online account, it will track how often an item was visited, how many slides they visited, etc. I think the same could almost be said for any LMS. The thing is that they all do this independent of Storyline and the data will be limited. Nothing about how long they stay on each slide or how long it took before they clicked an object.

What you are asking for, sounds like a great idea for a feature request. It's not currently something you can do within Storyline.

Always Happy to Help,

Adrian

Steve Flowers

Hi, Heather!

You can do that right now, sorta, using built in features. Take a look at this story file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19820702/warningMessages.story

The operation runs in the master slide. It leverages what I call a "layer loop" to increment a value after a period of time. I haven't timed this but it should be accurate.

Steve Flowers

That's a great question A few ways to tackle that:

1. Build a question (numeric or fill in the blank) and leverage a trigger to force the timer value into the question. Submit the question with this result using a trigger and it'll be captured by SCORM as an interaction. This can be done "blindly" without the user even noticing. Reporting depends on the LMS.
  2. Depending on the goals for the data is to use something like a Google Spreadsheet. That's a bit of a challenge to setup but can work.

Number 1 is probably the easiest to tackle if you're not familiar with JavaScript.

Joanna Pearce

Steve Flowers said:

Hi, Heather!

You can do that right now, sorta, using built in features. Take a look at this story file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19820702/warningMessages.story

The operation runs in the master slide. It leverages what I call a "layer loop" to increment a value after a period of time. I haven't timed this but it should be accurate.

Hi Steve,

That timer works great although I have found that if you have multiple layers on your slide, the timer/counter stops until you return to the base layer again. Do you know of any way around this to make it work across all the layers and not just on the base layer?

Peter Bloor

Hi All

You can do it using a silent audio file (these are useful for lots of things).

- Record a one-second audio file and silence it.

- Set it to play when the slide starts, then every time it completes arrange for two things to happen:

1) a variable increments (or decrements if you're doing a countdown timer)

2) the audio plays again

Erez Goren

Hey guys,

I've been tackling this timer issue for a few days now, and my main purpose is tracking how long the user has spent on a slide which contains a video that can be paused using certain markers that reveal information.

I've found (on these boards and some others) about 6 examples of this being done, all of which were using ~1s audio files (silent or not). I found that none of them were playing at an accurate rate, which creates an offset after a couple of minutes, and a larger one after ~15-20m.

I tried ditching the audio method and just using simple objects(shapes) configured to run for 1s and achieved better results, but still developed an offset of ~3s after about 10m.

Also, for this to function properly I duplicated my Base layer and cleared it, so essentially each layer could run simultaneously and you could still use triggers to have a certain layer pause another's timeline and such.

We can live with this offset, but it's still kind of annoying to have exact values no being executed at exact timings.

Any input on the subject will be appreciated, and if anyone has any questions about my method I'd be glad to share mine,

Erez

Christie Pollick

Hi, Erez -- As this thread is dated, if there were any participants in the thread that you wanted to reach directly, you would be able to use the 'Contact Me' link on their profile page. I also wanted to note that if you would like to share your thoughts or ideas with our Product Development team, you are welcome to do so using this form

And we also thank you for your offer to share your process with those interested -- always appreciated in the community! :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.