Change object state after user scrolls to end of Scroll

Aug 10, 2012

Hello everyone,

I have created a slide with the Scroll Panel and navigation buttons. The initial state of the Next button is disabled. I would like to have the Next button state change to Normal after the user has scrolled to the bottom of the text. Unfortunately there isn't any built-in trigger to do this. I'm sure there are ways to do it with variables, states, and triggers; I'm just not sure how to do it. Please help, my storyline is attached.

Thank you,

14 Replies
Daniel Bolia

Hi Gerry and Phil,

Hi Gerry,

That's a good idea and should work. However, if the user never scrolls down to the bottom, they will never have any clue that there's a next button to continue. Also, doing this would deviate from the existing template which has the navigation button on the lower right.

Thank you, 

Adrian Dean

Hi Daniel,

You could do a layer with a hotspot situated right over your next button. Setup a trigger on the base slide to show the layer when the timeline starts. That would keep the user from clicking the next button. Then you could have another trigger that hides the layer and allows them to click on the next button when the timeline ends.

The bottleneck with this lies with the timeline. You would have to finesse that to ensure that enough time is given to read the scrolling panel before the next button becomes available without dragging it out. I would have a caption or text box that asks them to read the scrolling panel in full.

What Phil and Gerry say is true. There is no way to tie a trigger to an action with the scrolling panel since it is not seen as an object, like the text box inside it is seen as.

The above could be a workaround, but it's not foolproof.

The idea of tying a trigger to the scrolling panel is an excellent idea though and would make an excellent feature request.

Always Happy to Help,

Adrian

Daniel Bolia

Hi Adrian and all,

Another way to look at this function would be page which requires employees to read a policy/agreement and select Accept or Do Not Accept to continue. We see this more often now when installing software for example. the Accept Button does not become active until the user scrolls to the bottom of the page. In my case, the client insists that users  view or read the full content before continuing. This feature would satisfy the requirement.

Adrian, you're correct that the timing would be critical especially if there's a lot of text and the users may scroll back and forth. For now I will have to forego this option and assumes that users will scroll to the bottom on their own.

Thank you all for the prompt responses and ideas. I will submit a feature request for this function.

dan

Greg Damron

Hi Daniel,

Perhaps you might consider placing a checkbox at the end of the text in the scroll panel that the user would need to check to enable the next button. You could then add an instruction line outside and just below the scroll panel to inform the user to read to the end and check the box to agree/continue.  Best regards, -Greg

Greg Damron

Daniel,

Well adding a checkbox seemed a good idea when I suggested it, but I've just given it a quick try and learned something new about checkboxes and scroll panels. It seems when a checkbox is placed in the scroll panel (a separate container from the base slide) it's state changes can no longer be "heard" at slide level. I've now re-worked the example using a true/false variable to track the checkbox state and it seems to be functioning well. I've enclosed both my working and non-working examples in case this method may be of help for you.

Hope this may be of help! -Greg

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sagar,

I'd love to help, but since this discussion is a bit older, let's start fresh!

First, what version of Storyline are you using? 

Next, it sounds like you're trying to insert a PDF as a web object? Are you linking to that file hosted somewhere, such as your website or similar? What happens when you try to insert it? 

Certain things, such as web objects won't be visible in Preview. So you'll want to look at publishing the Storyline course to see how it'll behave. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.