Create an effect of a hand with pen, crossing off items on a list

Apr 20, 2011

Here is the screenr I created that describes how I made this happen.

Here is a link to the pptx & ppt version of these slides and images.

29 Replies
Chris Willis

So I have a couple of questions about this type of animation design.  I tried this same type of animation with making  a hand write in words on a chalk board.  I was able to create it, but i could not find the custom motion path in powerpoint 2010, so that was a bummer.  However i can't seem to be able to do this in storyline.  The animations are very limited in storyline and when i made it in powerpoint and then tried to import it to storyline, the animations did not follow.  Any thoughts?

Jeanette Brooks

Hi again Chris,

I'm sorry, but currently Storyline doesn't have an equivalent to PowerPoint's motion path. If you need to show an object moving along a very specific custom path, what some folks do is create the effect in PowerPoint and save the slide as a movie, then insert that movie into your Storyline slide. Check out Stephanie's explanation here. And also, please consider submitting a feature request for additional animation options if motion paths are important to you - it's really helpful to our dev team to hear what folks value. Thanks!

Chris Willis

Okay I will do that, and I was also thinking, adding to Tony's idea.  How would i make that hand crossing lines out through "Links" be an interaction?  I was thinking on having people hit the hyper links, but when they finish the scene it would be brought back to the menu slide and then have the hand cross out the area they just visited.  Is this possible?

Jeanette Brooks

iTechLibrarian said:

Jeanette,

Can you provide the Storyline "source" files for this tutorial example?

Sure! Attached below is the story file so that you can deconstruct if you like. Since the hand graphic isn't mine to share (but is available for purchase at elearningart.com) I substituted the picture you see in the screencast with a comp from Fotolia. Also, since the font is probably not one that you have on your system, I substituted the textboxes with graphics; otherwise things probably wouldn't look right when you open the story file. If you'd like the font I originally used in my screencast, it's available free here.

Jeanette Brooks

Chris Willis said:

Okay I will do that, and I was also thinking, adding to Tony's idea.  How would i make that hand crossing lines out through "Links" be an interaction?  I was thinking on having people hit the hyper links, but when they finish the scene it would be brought back to the menu slide and then have the hand cross out the area they just visited.  Is this possible?

Yes, definitely possible! Attached below is one way you could accomplish Tony's idea. Each menu item is covered with a hotspot which takes the learner to a different section. Once they hit the "Back" button on each section, it takes them back to the menu slide where the hand crosses the item off.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.