Problem with the translation export in Storyline

Mar 08, 2013

Hi !

I'm using Articulate Storyline and I created a course with a hundred slides. I wanted to translate my course into spanish so I used the export translation function of Storyline. At first everything works fine, it asks me to choose the name and where to save my file, I chose the second option file (Word Document with Reference Column). And then, after a few seconds a strange window appears (see attached file) and a second one which asks me where to save my document. And when I open my document, this indicates that there is 103 pages but in fact there are only 7 pages filled. I have the columns provided for the translation but from page 8, they are all empty.

Is that other people have encountered this problem? Do you think my course is too big to be translated?
What can I do
to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance for your help !

144 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sandrine, 

When you export text from your Storyline content to a Microsoft Word document (*.doc) for translation purposes, be sure the column header text does not get changed. Otherwise, the import process (with the translated text) will fail. 

If you'd like, we'd be happy to take a closer look at it. Please submit a case, including your .story file, using this link so our support team can assist you further.

Thanks!

Sandrine Mis

Hi Christine,

many thanks for your answer but I think you don't understand what is my problem..
For the moment I have no problem with importing traduction, it's with the export that I have a problem, my *.doc file generated is not completed correctly, I have only 7 pages filled and all the rest of the document is empty :(

I send you my. * story to watch what is the problem..

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sandrine,

In one of your earlier responses you mentioned you sent the .STORY file to us. However, I haven't been able to find a case for this. Can you share the case number with me, so I can take a look? If you haven't sent the file over, please follow the steps below to open a support case with us.

You'll be able to attach the .STORY file on the second page of the following form:

Articulate Support - Submit a Support Case

Please be sure to include a description of your issue. Please also include the URL for this thread in the form. Also, please share the case number with me. You're welcome to do so here, or in a private message. This way I can follow the progress of the case and update this thread.

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sandrine,

I believe that size should be fine for the support case form, but if it's not working, try this one:

Upload your files

If that still doesn't work, you can try importing a few of the slides from the original course into a new Storyline course. Be sure the same problem occurs once you've done this, then try submitting the file again. 

Importing from Another Storyline Project

Let me know if you're still unable to upload it. 

Thanks!

Robert Stewart

I got the same error after transferring all my files from a Windows 7 32bit to a New Windows 8 64bit computer.

And now using Office 2010 from Office 2007.

I fixed it after seeing an error in the event log of the new windows 8 computer: (sChannel error)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/W8ITProPreRel/thread/9dfb4d09-8096-40c9-ac75-1e23f75417c9/

the above link had a reply from samurai12 (half way down posts):

Ok I got the problem solved - on my system at least (running Windows 8 Consumer preview)  … I stumbled into this solution while trouble shooting a different (DCOM) error message that I kept getting:

In Group Policy Editor (run: gpedit.msc),  went to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Distributed COM > Application Compatibility and enabled "allow local activation security check exemptions"

No more Schannel or DCOM errors now!

Of course, i'm not suggesting this as a cure-all --- from what I've read on other forums, these schannel errors are quite common and are probably generated as a result of many possible different conflicts -- this is just what worked for me.  But if anyone is also getting the ton of DCOM errors along with the schannel errors, it's worth a try.   Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Christine Hendrickson

Welcome to the community, Russell!

First, can you please confirm you're running the most recent version of Storyline? To find this information click on "Help" and "About Articulate Storyline". If you're not running version 2 (1212.1412) please download and install the update below.

Storyline > Download Update 2

You may also want to make sure that you're working with local project files:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior. 
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you still see that pop up when attempting to export the translation.

Thanks and welcome again!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi John,

Most of the cases I see for these are really either file-specific or system-specific. In some cases, I've seen where importing the original project into a new Storyline course fixes the problem. Others, it's been an issue with file naming (as you've seen above), file location or installation of Word. 

If you've tried all of the suggestions above, including importing the original course slides into a new course, are you able to share the .STORY file here or send it to us privately?

Thanks!

Bridget Brown

I have the same issue as everyone else. Same dialogue box that say nothing.  After I export and go to open the Word file - the file doesn't exist.    I have a simple file name (no spaces or symbols) and I have made certain that MS Word is closed.  I just ran the Storyline update this morning and am now running Storyline Update 3:1305:2012

Has anyone come up with a solution?

Christine Hendrickson

Hi there Bridget,

Thanks for confirming that you're working with Update 3. Please also make sure that you're working with local project files on your C: drive, if you haven't already. 

From everything I've seen case-wise and from other community members, it looks like it may be file-specific. For example, some instances of this error were resolved by creating a new Storyline project and importing each slide or scene one at a time and exporting the project for translation. 

If you don't receive the same error prompt with the first slide or scene of the project, it may be an issue with a specific content item, slide, etc. 

If you don't have any luck with this, we'd be happy to take a look at what's happening. If you do submit a case with us, please share a case number so I can try to update this thread with a solution.

Thanks Bridget!

Bridget Brown

Christine - 

My module is broken down into 4 scenes.  In a cumbersome manner I copied each scene to a different file and then exported to Word for translation from there.  Then I imported it back into the .story copy of that scene and then copied that scene to the final file.  (Did you get all that?)  

Anyway it would appear that it is my final scene that is the most problematic.  It is scene with two drag and drop situations so that probably has something to do with it.  

I wanted to lay out what the issue was because this was (obviously) so much more time consuming than it should have been.  :(

Here is my case number:

Case Number: 00344490
Reference ID: ref:_00D30Txo._50040SB7mL:ref

Thanks, Christine! 

Christine Hendrickson

Hi there Bridget,

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you've had to put so much work into this. I am happy to hear that you've been able to narrow this down a little bit, though - that certainly helps! 

Hopefully we'll be able to figure out what it is about those particular interactions that's causing the issue. 

I wonder if importing those interactions into a new file would enable you to export them separately? By the way, this is a very quick way to import from an existing project, if this method isn't what you're already using. 

Also, thank you for the case number. Looks like Cleo is already taking a look at the problem and he should be in touch with you soon.

I'll keep an eye on the progress and try to follow up with you.

Thanks again!

Christine Hendrickson

Hi George,

The files I'm seeing seem to vary quite a bit, I haven't seen a truly common thread for it, so narrowing it down for a fix my not be that easy.

I totally understand if you need to keep your content private. If you share the files with our support team, any information in the course or discussed with us will remain confidential. If absolutely needed, we'd also be happy to sign a disclosure. 

Thanks!

Paul Blount

Same issue here with several story files.  And that error message is oh so useful!

With so many folks reporting this, what is Articulate doing to improve this?  I really need to use this feature and want to be able to suggest Storyline to my peers across the org, but things like this make that challenging.

I've even tried this with a simple story file that has nothing but 6 slides of text, not other interactions at all.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.