Building E-Learing for Healthcare/ Pharmaceutical Audiences

Apr 02, 2013

We work entirely in the area of healthcare and drug development so have some very interesting e-learning work on diseases, treatments, patient and physician experience etc..

Much of this is highly innovative, and we woudl like to share some of this experience in a controlled enironment, with those who are turely interested in "raising the bar".

Is anyone interested in creating a group to  share expereince an approaches?

If so, let's talk!

Jane

56 Replies
Susan Brown

Hi Jane! I work in a similar industry - my company develops public standards that help ensure the quality, safety, and benefit of medicines and foods. I also have a background in education/e-learning in the clinical research, drug development, biotech industries. I would be very interested in participating in a group like this. I look forward to hearing more!

Jane Nathan

Thank you to everyone for your helpful and enthusiastic responses.

What might be most helpful to us all is to present an couple of examples ( each?), and have other members comment, with likes, dislikes and suggestions for improvements etc.

How does that sound?

Perhaps I can show you a couple of things we have done recently using screenr, and take it from there?

If anyone has any better ideas, I woudl be very happy to hear tham

Thanks all!

Jane 

john faulkes

Some great words here that attracted me too Jane - 'healthcare' (I work primarily for pharma companies and other healthcare), and 'raising the bar' (passion of mine too).

Please add me if you would.

The thing that really interests me is peoples' thoughts about what aspects/styles of elearning are received well by staff in this sector and what things put them off - if it is at all possible to generalise.

Sheila Bulthuis

If it's not too late to join...  One of my largest clients is a multinational pharma company, and I'm definitely interested in how other people are approaching content for this industry, especially for the R&D folks.  Like John, I'm wondering if there are any accurate generalizations about this audience, but even more than that I'm wondering how people have dealt with the dense and technical content that we sometimes have to work with - and some best practices for courses that need to be used in multiple countries (even though in some cases not everything applies to every country, from a regulatory standpoint!).

Ward Scott

My organization is healthcare and regulated as a pharmaceutical under CFR21. I'll be happy to be the first to share....

My group was asked to create a training course related to the current Good Manufacturing Practices requirements for Standard Operating Procedures. That's right. A cGMP course on SOPs - if there is any material drier than the Sahara, this is it.

We brainstormed, mocked up four examples, and finally settled on the following. The use of clip art kept our development time down considerably and I was pretty happy with it. One  employee actually said it was his "favorite Web course." That's really something as we have 12 years worth under our belt!

cGMP: Standard Operating Procedures

Daniel Lynn

Ward is my boss, and I got to develop the above mentioned cGMP module. The writing was a team effort, I think our team member Sallie did most of it. If you looked at it, you might have noticed we used armature voice talent from around our organization. That's one of the funnest <<< (should be a word) parts of my job. There are always plenty of bloopers, and I sometimes add them to the end of a lesson, with talent approval, of course. It's amazing the talent you can find if you ask around. With all that audio, I'm curious about how well this performs from far distances (other countries or states chime in please). I'm pretty sure we are close to the Host server, so not a good judge.

The audio does add to development time.  I usually get five or six takes on each paragraph. Then have to edit the bizonkers out of them.

Mike Walters

Oooh, I like seeing the words "healthcare" and "elearning" in one sentence!

I am lucky enough to have a couple of large medical clients (who I assist with both Moodle and Articulate).

I've also worked on the other side of the fence being both a anaesthetic practitioner in the UK and a Pharma Rep here in Australia.

Always happy to talk shop on any of the above subjects!

Mike

Tess Richardson

Ward & Daniel,

Thanks for sharing the SOP course. You got a lot of mileage from the courtroom illustrations, but I thought what you did with them was great. The content reminded me of a course I did on OSHA regulations for veterinary clinics, though your approach was much more creative. BTW, I am accessing from Wisconsin and everything played fine.

I'm used to creating courses with a seek bar and the narration script showing in the menu panel, so I really missed not having those showing. Is there a reason they are not included on the player?

Tess

Daniel Lynn

Tess, thanks for the feedback. I agree, not having looked at this for a while, I missed the seek/scrub bar as well and I found a broken link.  Some are on our intranet so you'd expect lack of access... but this one should've been there. Time for a small update/patch. This reminds me, the habit of stepping away from the canvas for a while is a good practice. I also heard my voice faintly, but  cueing the narration, twice, how embarrassing. lol

Danny

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.