Quiz Attempts vs Question Attempts

Oct 24, 2013

In the lesson I'm designing, I want the learner to have 3 attempts to score 80% on a quiz.  They are allowed 3 attempts to make that minimum score.   I'm struggle with how to design this for publication to our LMS.

I understand how to give a learner 3 attempts to answer one question correctly, but how do I design it so that they must go through all of the questions (with no feedback), then receive their score?

My original design was to duplicate the quiz scenes with each one having a separate results slide, but now as I'm ready to publish it, I see I can only report ONE results slide to the LMS.

How would you handle this scenario?

Thanks!

6 Replies
Evan Laube

Mike-

That tutorial did not work for me.  Like it stated in the tutorial, you can change the tries within the variable.  When I changed it to "2" instead of the video-given "1", it doesn't work.  I feel I have duplicated what is shown on the screen, to no avail.  What am I missing?  I have attached my .story file for reference.

Thanks

Evan

Mike Enders

Evan,

When I fail the quiz for the 2nd time, the Retry quiz button is gone.  

Your triggers are acting as expected.

When you take the quiz for the first time, the quizcountretries variable = 0.  After you fail the first time, you click the retry button and your trigger adds 2 to the value of the variable.  When you fail again, you return to the fail slide and the trigger to hide the button if the variable is = 2 fires because the variable is equal to 2. 

Are you trying to achieve a different outcome?

Mike

Mike Enders

Evan,

I wonder if the confusion comes in with the number you add to the variable versus the evaluation of the variable for the slide level trigger.

If you always keep those numbers the same, be they 1, 2, 3, etc.  You'll always end up with getting 2 attempts.  Because you'll be adding, say, 3 when the user clicks the retry button and then telling Storyline to hide the button if the variable is equal to 3. 

To alter the number of attempts, you'll need to have the retry quiz button add "1" to the countquizretries variable and then alter the # on your slide trigger to hide the retry quiz button.

So....

Let's say you want to give the learner 3 attempts.  You'd set your hide button trigger to hide if variable = 2.

At the start of the quiz, the Countquizretries variable = 0  (first attempt)

Learner fails and hits try again (variable is adjusted to 1)

Learner takes 2nd attempt (variable is = 1 during the 2nd attempt)

Learner fails and hits try again (variable is adjusted to 2)

Learner takes 3rd attempt (variable is = 2 during 3rd attempt)

Learner fails and now when they hit the results slide..the button is hidden because of the trigger that says to hide if variable = 2.

Now...you could also start the variable at 1.  This might help the confusion.  Then just set your button to hide on the actual number of attempts you'd like the learner to have.  

At the start of the quiz, the Countquizretries variable = 1  (first attempt)

Learner fails and hits try again (variable is adjusted to 2)

Learner takes 2nd attempt (variable is = 2 during the 2nd attempt)

Learner fails and hits try again (variable is adjusted to 3)

Learner takes 3rd attempt (variable is = 3 during 3rd attempt)

Learner fails and now when they hit the results slide..the button is hidden because of the trigger that says to hide if variable = 2.

I hope this helps!

Mike

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.