"Exception during import Powerpoint"

Oct 29, 2013

I have just opened Storyline to import a presentation from PowerPoint.  when I navigate to the PowerPoint file and import I get the attached message...

Can anyone tell me in plain English what this message means & what might of caused it????

Many thanks in advance.

Helen

17 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Helen! Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty.

You want to be sure your Articulate files (Storyline, PowerPoint file etc) are all local hard drive (typically your C: drive). Working from a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, such as file corruption, an inability to save changes you've made to your project, and loss of resources. For more information, take a look at this article.

Do you have any issues opening the Powerpoint file alone? What version of Powerpoint are you using?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Helen! Perhaps this one file has become corrupt. 

You may be able to resolve file corruption in the following manner, depending on your version of PowerPoint:

PowerPoint 2010 / 2007

1. Open a blank presentation in PowerPoint.
  2. Save the presentation.
  3. Click the Home tab.
  4. Click the drop-down arrow beside New Slide and select Reuse Slides.
  5. Click the Browse button and select Browse File.
  6. Locate your original PowerPoint file and click the Open button.
  7. At the bottom of the Reuse Slides panel, select the Keep source formatting check box.
  8. Right click the first slide in the Reuse Slides panel and select Insert All Slides.
  9. Save the new presentation and republish.

Note:  Resources, such as audio and video, that you inserted via Articulate Presenter into the original presentation will need to be inserted again into the new presentation.  You may need to export the narration from your original presentation.  Then import it into the new presentation.

If this does not help, I recommend that you reach out to our support team and send them your files for assistance. 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Helen,

I see that after testing Jonathan was able to use your Powerpoint files, and believes the Storyline file may have already been corrupted and suggested:

Can you please follow the troubleshooting steps in this article to fix unexpected or erratic behavior in Articulate Storyline: 

http://articulate.com/support/kb_article.php?product=st1&id=gdz9t4lj0g7w 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Amanda,

I see Miker also did some additional testing with you and suggested the following:

Just to eliminate possible software installation issues, I will need you to perform the troubleshooting steps in this article: 

http://articulate.com/support/kb_article.php?product=st1&id=gdz9t4lj0g7w 

NOTE: Make sure that you're following the steps (in the order they appear) outlined in the version of your Windows Operating System. ALSO, I'll need you to perform the repair in Microsoft .Net Framework and reinstall Adobe Flash Player as indicated in the "If you're still experiencing unexpected behavior" section of the article. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.