Slashes are removed from a link to file on company server

Jan 02, 2014

Hi there!

I'm trying to link to a file on my company server, so I browse for the file, test the link and it works fine. However after clicking the OK button on the Trigger Wizard dialog box, the link changes. It is removing one of my two backslashes.  I know in a recent update there was fix for double slashes being added to a file path, however in this case, this is exactly what I need.

What I need: (two double slashes in the beginning)

\\ABCD\1234\abcd\file.txt

What is happening: (one slash has been removed)

\ABCD\1234\abcd\file.txt

Can you please tell me how to keep my double slashes?

13 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tykinna, 

I believe you're referring to this fix in update 4 of Storyline? You mentioned linking to a file on your company server, and we do recommend working with all local files, but I played around with my own Storyline file to see if I could update the link and add in the extra slash as you mentioned, and I was able to update the link when I clicked on just the hyperlink within the trigger panel as in the image below. I'm not able to test if this link will work on my end, as it's not a valid file path for me - but can you try updating it there (instead of opening up the trigger) and see if that allows you to have the double slash you need?

Ali Goulet

Hey Eujene!

I'm not positive if Tykinna found a solution, but since this thread is a bit older- let's start from scratch with what you're running into.

I have a couple questions to start here:

1. Just to verify- is this happening while adding a hyperlink right in Storyline? 
  2. If so, where are the files that you're working on saved to? 
  3. What version of Storyline are you using?

Let me know! 

Eujene Teng

Hi Ali,

This is only happened when I was trying to add the link to a shared folder. The double slashes "\\" at the front will be removed become "\".

However, link to other websites are working fine, for example: https://community.articulate.com/

FYI, I'm currently using Articulate Storyline 2, latest version: Update 12

Look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Eujene,

Thanks for those details. I'm also seeing that a double forward slash '\\' becomes a single forward slash '\' in a Jump to URL/File trigger. I'll bring this to my team to take a closer look, so that we can verify this is a bug. 

For now, could you move the file to your local hard drive and link to it from there?

Becca Levan

Hi Everyone!

I'm happy to return to this discussion with an update—we've fixed the issue where: 

• Double slash "\\" becomes single slash "\" in Jump to URL/File trigger.

Be sure to install the latest Storyline 360 update (Build 3.50.24668.0) to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes.

If this happens again, please let us know! Or you can work directly with our support engineers here.