Uploading WMV file

Feb 18, 2014

Hello,

Has anyone experienced any trouble uploading a WMV file to Storyline on the Windows XP system?  When I click the video upload icon I'm able to search for the file.  When I click to import the WMV file I get the following message:

THE SELECTED VIDEO COULD NOT BE IMPORTED. PLEASE ENSURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST VERSIONS OF WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER AND THE APPLE QUICKTIME PLAYER INSTALLED ALONG WITH ANY REQUIRED CODECS.

I've contacted my IT department and they've confirmed that I have the most updated version of Windows Media Player installed for the Windows XP system.

Any thoughts on this one?

4 Replies
OWEN HOLT

I haven't run into this. But I would offer the following advice / solution regardless.

1) Use a conversion utility to convert the video to mp4 format (FormatFactory is a free software that does a decnt job. I'm sure there are others you can find through google.)

2) Use the mp4 in your storyline project

3) after publishing, find and replace the compressed published mp4 with the original to restore the quality of your video

Angela St. Pierre

Owen Holt said:

I haven't run into this. But I would offer the following advice / solution regardless.

1) Use a conversion utility to convert the video to mp4 format (FormatFactory is a free software that does a decnt job. I'm sure there are others you can find through google.)

2) Use the mp4 in your storyline project

3) after publishing, find and replace the compressed published mp4 with the original to restore the quality of your video

Thank you Owen.  I've installed Quick Time and the codecs and I'm still having the same issue so I'm going to try your recommendation.  I guess I'm kind of confused about item #3. If I replace the compressed mp4 with the original mp4, wouldn't I have to republish which would compress the file again?

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Angela,

Hopefully the initial suggestions Owen shared (thanks, Owen!) will help. 

Now, if you need to replace that compressed video file, you'd do so in the published output. If you publish again after replacing the video, yes - it will put the compressed version in your output files. So, if you make any changes to your project and have to republish, you'll want to make sure that you also place the original MP4 back in the published output files.

If you're planning to publish a lot, for testing and such, I would recommend replacing the video once to make sure that the quality improves. Once you've tested this, you can then plan on just replacing the video(s) once your project is complete. That way, you don't end up spending a lot of time going in and swapping out the videos. That can take up quite a bit of time if your project is considerably large and you need to publish often to test. 

Here's more information on how to go about replacing the video, as well as some additional tips:

I hope this helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.