Storyline file corrupted. How to fix and avoid?

Apr 22, 2014

My storyline file stopped working shortly after I exceeded the 100MB mark. I have tried launching the file on other computers with the same issue.

I have successfully launched other Storyline files, so it seems Storyline itself is not corrupted.

The behaviour is as follows:

Storyline file opens.

On the Story View, the thumbnails of the slides contained in different scenes start to appear and disappear.

Storyline is locked at this point and requires a system reboot.

I have an older back up and am working on smaller extracts fro the file, but I would like to avoid this in the future.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

M

10 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Mark and welcome to Heroes! 

The most often cause of file corruption is working off a network or shared drive as described here. You will want to work on local project files.  You'll also want to check that the file name and file path are well below the 260 character limit and don't include any special characters, accents, etc. 

You could also try to import your existing project into a new  project within Storyline, to resolve any corruption issues. 

You mentioned the overall file size as well, and you may want to see if this file is causing issues because of it's overall size and the memory available on your computer. You'd want to close out non-essential programs while working on the file. Another known cause of odd Storyline behavior is using a DPI setting of anything other than the recommended 96 DPI. 

Hi Mark,

If you already have a Google drive link for it, that may be the easiest way to share it. You can provide the link here in the forums, send along to me as a private message, or even open a support case.   I'll also send you directions on how you can open a support case and have it assigned to me directly. 

Hi Laura and welcome to Heroes!

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into an issue with a corrupted file. You can try importing the file into a new project following the directions here to resolve any odd behavior, but it may not solve everything as once a file is corrupted there is not always a way to save it.

To prevent corruption on future Storyline files, you'll want to follow these guidelines here for working on your project files:

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.