Short interactive scenario

May 23, 2014

During some of the easier days at work I worked on a small module for my own, to improve and show my skills. I would like to here what you think of it.

It's a short interactive scenario that should teach you some conflict resolution skills. It's still a bit rough around the edges, but done with zero budget

Click here for the module.

Thanks a lot for the effort!

6 Replies
Daniel Brigham

Niels: thanks for posting. I like the uncluttered visual feel, especially the slight transparent text boxes. It's also refreshing to see some new characters. And good for you, giving the learner two options for how to experience the material. 

For the text-only version, I would suggest having each character's speech bubble present at the beginning of the slide. That's more typical in a text-only scenario. Think comic book. Also, there's two instances in where the male is looking up, as if thinking, yet he is "speaking" to other character. I might look for a pose where it looks he is really speaking to someone else.

Thanks again for the post. And welcome to the forum. --Daniel

Niels Rop

Christine Prescott said:

Hi Niels - nice module.  

How did you work your audio so you can turn it on and off..  I am trying to add a mute/unmute icon in Storyline but it is not working.

Any advice?

Thanks Tee.

Dear Christine,

I used the solution explained here. It's a trigger combined with some javascript that mutes or unmutes the sound. Since it is based on javascript it will not work in preview mode, but only when published.

In my module, the button toggles the variable (true/false) which controls the mute function in javascript. I have added the storyfile of one of the slides in the module with all the triggers and javascript. The triggers are required on every slide!

I hope this helps!

Niels Rop

Daniel Brigham said:

Niels: thanks for posting. I like the uncluttered visual feel, especially the slight transparent text boxes. It's also refreshing to see some new characters. And good for you, giving the learner two options for how to experience the material. 

For the text-only version, I would suggest having each character's speech bubble present at the beginning of the slide. That's more typical in a text-only scenario. Think comic book. Also, there's two instances in where the male is looking up, as if thinking, yet he is "speaking" to other character. I might look for a pose where it looks he is really speaking to someone else.

Thanks again for the post. And welcome to the forum. --Daniel

Daniel,

Thank you for your feedback. Your idea of the comic book style speech bubbles sounds good. I'll just have to figure out what will happen when the sounds is muted/unmuted during a slide. But it sounds like a good improvement.

I know that some of the poses are not optimal, but I had a limited selection of (free) poses, so I decided to use that one as well even though it didn't fit completely. If I were to make this module for real it would indeed select better poses!

Thanks again!

Niels

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.