Instructional Designer: Skills sold separately

Jun 11, 2014

So I have been part of the design team for the last year and a half, creating and converting modules.

After coming across this article, I've been wondering what other skills do I need to build on? Be it directly or indirectly related to instructional design.

Thanks!

7 Replies
Bruce Graham

C.O.

There's no list.

The web is swamped by "lists" at the moment. I respect Justin, (a member here), but the phrase "While certainly not an exhaustive list..." is his "Get out of jail free" card here.

Everyone does things differently - and you do what is needed, at a particular time, just like any other profession.

Here's my take on it - but when I realise I do not have the skills I need, I employ other people on a contract basis.

There is no way, (IMHO), that any Instructional Designer can now do everything.

http://vimeo.com/96991812

Respectfully.

Rachel Barnum

It entirely depends on how your team is set up. Examples - 

Project Manager - A couple of the companies I have worked at have entirely separate project managers. In this scenario, an instructional designer does not need to be project manager.

Media Expert - While it helps if the instructional designer has a vision, I don't think that it means they need to be an expert. My current team has fantastic illustrators and a videographer/photographer so it's just not necessary for me to be an "expert"

Some of this also depends on YOUR goals for yourself. If you're a freelancer, are you trying to be a one stop shop? Or are you willing to split your profits a little with other contractors to get assets, etc, done so you can work on even more projects?

C.O. Ng

To you both, thanks for the input. And no disrespect meant to Justin.

He got me thinking on what I need to work on. Because I'm honestly having a hard time keeping the courses interesting, not that I'm trying to reinvent anything mind you. It's just that I'm still not sure of which skill I need to develop or work on.

Rachel Barnum

Are you having a hard time keeping it interesting for YOU or for learners? I think it depends on the career path you want to go down on. Do you want to continue building courses and you are attempting to find ways to make that more interesting?

Perhaps something like learning how to illustrate, do animated media, etc. would help you find them more interesting to build.

You may also read some books like "Design for How People Learn" or similar to inspire you.

Ashley Chiasson

I agree with Bruce and Rachel here - There certainly is no list, and you just need to align your goals with your interests. For example, if I had to work for a large organization doing Project Management and Instructional Design, I would never get any work done. Both would be so demanding that I would end up exhausted and burnt out. For me, I love the development side of things, and have found learning some JavaScript and basic media development has helped immensely, but that doesn't mean I want to be entrenched in Flash for days on end.

Really - It comes down to your preferences and what will make you feel happiest and fulfilled.

Bruce Graham

Rachel Barnum said:

Are you having a hard time keeping it interesting for YOU or for learners? I think it depends on the career path you want to go down on. Do you want to continue building courses and you are attempting to find ways to make that more interesting?

Perhaps something like learning how to illustrate, do animated media, etc. would help you find them more interesting to build.

You may also read some books like "Design for How People Learn" or similar to inspire you.

Very true.

A year ago I decided I wanted to know how to create cartoons.

12 months on, they form a major part of my eLearning, I have started a completely new business stream based on it (http://www.powtoon.guru/) and have been asked to write a book on the subject!

That does not mean I could have not decided to do something else and got as immersed in that

C.O. Ng

Rachel Barnum said:

Thanks Rachel. I am trying to keep it interesting for the learners. At the same time, making sure I don't do the same thing over and over again. So yes, definitely want to find ways to make the courses more interesting. Part of my challenge is making sure the learners are actively taking the course, and not just taking screenshots of the slides for the assessment. I know there is an ongoing will issue but I want to address it on my end too if I can. But I digress.

@Ashley: I find satisfaction in seeing the results of the courses or the training itself. That much I can guarantee.

@Bruce: I have considered taking a course on animation or game development. I have always wanted to create a learning game, or better yet, convert training courses into games. lol

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.