Setting a drag and drop with a scroll.

Jul 08, 2014

Hi everybody, i am trying to set a drag and drop axcersice. I need to drag one word from one column and dropp it correctly into a text. as the text is very log i set a scroll panel. The problem is that when i want to resolve teh activittie only the first one works. I just don't know how to set this kind of activitie. Is there a way to do this?

I really preciate your help.

14 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sebastian,

I've heard a lot of users here in the forums who have had difficulty using a drag and drop within a scrolling panel - as the scrolling panel and the targets position are moving once you begin scrolling. There is an example in this thread that another user set up demonstrating this behavior. Depending on what elements you'd like to use within a drag and drop, it may be something you'd want to set up as a few drag and drops over multiple slides. If you'd like to share an example here, maybe the community could chime in on other ideas to help you set this up?

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Matthew.  I did a quick test, and I found that with HTML5 output, the drag items aren't leaving the scrolling panel.  You'll see this behavior in Preview as well, since Preview renders in HTML5.

In Flash output, however, the drag items can be properly dropped on the drop target outside of the scrolling panel.

I'll document this behavior for my team so we can investigate the cause.

In the meantime, to workaround this issue, you may want to publish with Flash output as the default.  

If using Flash output isn't an option, and you aren't opposed to changing the design of your slide, you may want to refrain from using a scrolling panel with your drag items until we have a resolution for this issue.

I'm really glad you brought this to our attention, as I don't see that it's been otherwise reported to our QA team.  I'm going to give them this information so that they can investigate if there's a fix.  I'll be sure to keep you posted in this discussion with any information I can share on it!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Hakan, thanks for sharing your file and allowing me to take a look. This was a real puzzle, but I finally found the culprit!

It appears there's a problem in Storyline 360 HTML5 output where a scrolling panel in a drag and drop quiz question prevents you from jumping to the next slide. You can get around this by viewing the Flash output or by removing the scrolling panel from the slide. 

I've reported this problem to our team, and I'll keep you posted on any new information. Thanks again for bringing this up, and I'm sorry if it's been causing headaches!

Alyssa Gomez

Great news for you, Hakan! We just released another update for Articulate 360, and it includes a fix for the problem where drag-and-drop questions with scrolling panels prevented learners from moving on in HTML5 output.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let me know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Crystal Horn

Good news! We fixed the issue you reported in Storyline 360 where drag-and-drop drag items weren't able to escape the scrolling panel. 

Install the latest Storyline 360 update to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes. Here's how.

If the problem happens again, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I'll be happy to help!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.