Drawing on an Image (Quizmaker, Engage, or Storyline)

Jul 21, 2014

I've been looking around and searching, but haven't found anything as of yet. Is there a way to allow students to draw on a chart and then have the correct charting sequence appear underneath it to make sure they are grasping concepts correctly?

I haven't gotten too far into downloads and I haven't found the right functionality to allow drawing in the tutorials section or anywhere on the forums yet.

Any advice would be appreciated!

5 Replies
Robert Lengacher

Hi Marc, welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

I assumed from your post that you actually want students to construct a chart and that it might be nice to evaluate what they make. I took some license with your word "draw" and I created this Bar Graph Creation Tool that allows students to actually build a bar graph by clicking nearly invisible (99% transparency) rectangles that trigger each bar to change its state to the given height. I guess you could also do this with a hover trigger, but I like the click version better. Then I used the Conver to Freeform option, chose Pick Many and voila!

Here's a quick and dirty working demo and the Storyline project file is attached.

Cheers!

Marc McLain

Thanks, Alex, might be useful if I can create the right kind of background for it.

Robert, this could be helpful for another aspect, but we utilize a charting software that our students can use to mark points on a chart (kind of like a trading chart or stock chart). We want to be able to have them draw lines in trend directions and to be able to mark different points on the chart and then allow for feedback and or grading.

I hope this allows for more clarity with my request. I want students to be able to draw in any direction on an existing candlestick chart and allow an instructor or through the LMS be able to grade/show them the correct way to do things. These would be application lessons and little more hands on to show that students are learning concepts.

Below is kind of what I'm talking about. I want to take the figure 1 (blank chart) and have students be able to draw trendlines, formations and identify market movements (figure 2) and then be able to show them the correct forms of said drawings. To see if not only concepts are grasped, but also the application of said concepts.

Robert Lengacher

OK Marc - It's funny because I had to design a trendline plotting activity for a physical science course I designed last year. In a face-to-face session the learners really drew the line, but I had to adapt. What I've done on Slide 2 of this demo and project is to prompt users to plot a line of best fit by clicking 2 buttons. Even though this is a selective response type of item, there are so many combinations that it really requires the user to think.

Link to the demo is here and the project is attached.

• I highlighted all the yellow circles and added a button set so only one could be selected at a time, and I did the same with the green circles.
  • I used only 1 red trendline, but gave it lots of states that would trigger any time a yellow or green circle was clicked on the condition that a certain yellow and green circle were selected.
  • I used Freeform Pick Many again so this could be evaluated in the system. On your feedback layer you could certainly display a sample trendline to which they can compare their answer.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.