All images lost in Storyline files

Jul 25, 2014

I've reopened two of my storyline files that I've just finished for a client and all the images have disappeared. They are still held on the timeline but I cannot see them or change them.

I am working locally and have tried importing into a new file. I have renamed the files and saved them under new names. I have also reinstalled the new update (6) all to no avail.

I know that there have been previous issues like this, could somebody let me know how they fixed it, as I'm under tight deadlines - but also why it's happened in the first place as I really don't want it happening again!

Many thanks, Sally

12 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Sally,

Unfortunately, pinpointing what caused this is a little difficult.

How did you insert the images in your course? Did you insert as a file, or did you copy and paste the content into the file?

I highly recommend avoiding copying and pasting content, if possible. This can result in missing content - it's always best to import.

Have you tried re-importing the images or at least a few of them, to see if they display correctly after doing so? If you have, and they're still not showing up I'd recommend checking the image file names, project file name(s) and the file path.

I know you're already working locally, but I'm providing all of the best practices here, just in case someone else runs into this issue:

• Work on your local drive (your C: drive). Working on a network drive or a USB drive can cause erratic behavior, including file corruption, loss of audio, and other unexpected behavior.
  • You should also make sure the directory path to your project files and your published output is less than 260 characters (for example C:\Articulate).
  • Avoid using special characters, accents or symbols in your file names (this includes spaces and underscores).

Additional information regarding "Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces" in Windows operating systems can be found in the following Microsoft article.

Please let us know how it goes!

Christine

Sally McAlinney

Thanks so much for your reply Christine.

I have used copy and paste for some of the images and import for most, although it is every single image which has disappeared from both course. Hence me having to give up my Sunday just to reinsert images!

I have now changed my file path too - just in case!

Fingers crossed...

Sally McAlinney

Hi Christine,

Just to update you...

- I have reinserted all the images into the course - every image had to be renamed for it to be recognised - even those images which were really simply named such as clock.jpg had to be renamed clock new.jpg.

- It also changed the player template for some reason.

- The undo function is now not working.

And a quick question...

When you say not to use copy and paste, do you mean copy and paste from external sources such as powerpoint, rather than copying and pasting within Storyline itself?? For example, I use custom made next and previous buttons on every page which is created with images and states. If I couldn't copy and paste this onto other pages within the course it would take forever to create it over and over on every slides!

Thanks,

Sally

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sally,

Thanks for the update and I'm glad you were able to reinsert your images. In regard to the copy/paste, once you've inserted an image into Storyline you could copy and paste it, as I believe Christine was referring to overall content such as slides or information from powerpoint being imported and not copied in.

Please let us know if the behavior continues on a new file.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.