Formal e-learning training

Aug 20, 2014

Hi,

I'm relatively new to e-learning design, and I'm basically self-taught, with a little help from Lynda.com on using software. Personally, I'm learner that needs to be taught everything by an expert. I'm interested in growing my skills by taking classes or completing coursework to really understand e-learning, how to design it, how to mange it, project management, etc. I've had trouble finding resources, but I think I'm not looking in the right places.

Does anyone have recommendations for further training in this field?

Any self-taught success stories?

Thanks so much in advance!

4 Replies
Cathy Moore

Jay, if you're interested in face-to-face workshops, I'm giving workshops on scenario design this September and October in Los Angeles, Chicago, and Sydney. The sessions focus on instructional design rather than production, and the techniques apply to any elearning tool as well as to face-to-face scenarios or ones run during a live online session.

The Chicago workshop takes place right after the Online Learning conference, where you'll get a wide range of ideas and techniques.

You might also look at this past discussion on this forum, which lists a ton of courses and certificate programs.

Nicole Legault

Hey Jay!

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting here in the forums! Just out of curiosity, how did you end up in e-learning!? I think it's common for people to "fall into it" by accident and then they kind of stick with it because it's a cool field

So, the topic of newbies who recently got into e-learning, and are looking to sharpen and develop their skills, is one that comes up often here in the community... so just know that you're not alone!

To start, here are some links to past blog posts and forum discussions that you might find helpful:

On a personal note, I am one of those people that "fell into e-learning" by accident and I'm mostly self-taught. One of the most valuable things I've done (in my opinion) is to get a certificate in Instructional Design. There are a lot of options out there available but I can personally highly recommend the 3-day workshop called Instructional Design for New Designers by Langevin Learning Services. They are really well known and respected in the ID and Train-the-Trainer world as one of the leaders in that industry with regards to certification...I took that workshop and several others that they give and it was super practical and really worthwhile.

Hope this helps.. Keep us posted

Jay Berger

@Cathy Moore, thank you so much for these links, especially the link to previous discussion--I knew there should have been one, but couldn't find it. Thanks!

@Nicole Legault I also "fell into it," so I'm glad to know there are others out there! I will def. look into a certificate--I'm trying to find more Captivate certification programs as well since that is the software my company is using at this time.

Thanks again everyone, see you on the forums!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.