Storyboarding - best practices?

Aug 28, 2014

Hello Community! ~ I am looking for tips & best Practices for StoryBoarding for elearning.

I'm currently building a branched scenario in PowerPoint that will be developed by a Storyline Developer in another city. I need the best way to identify what links to what in the Storyboard, so the developer is clear. How do I make sure he knows "Shape 1 Links to Slide #10" etc... how do I identify objects on the screen? Any suggestions or ideas would be very much appreciated! Thanks Community.

~ DD ~

8 Replies
Ashley Chiasson

Hi Danika - as a starting point, you might want to check out the storyboarding templates shared over here: http://community.articulate.com/blogs/david/archive/2014/08/22/storyboard-templates-elearning.aspx

You could also link the objects to the relevant screens and indicate (when the project is handed off to the developer) that the interactions must mimic those in the PPT. To link the slides to the shape, first right click the shape:

Then, select Action Settings (might be called something different in Windows OS).

Select the radio button to hyperlink to Slide...

Choose the relevant slide.

Does that help?

BJ Campbell

What a great community! Good information all around.

Completing the story in PowerPoint is a great start. You can easily create the links yourself, but if that is time consuming on large projects. Perhaps consider a tag team approach? Or maybe the author is not tech savvy.

We had a similar situation, a very large project, so we had the storytellers and the storyline developers come together for a few working sessions. The storyteller printed out the presentation and posted on a whiteboard. Drew lines between the links. The developer sat at the table with the PowerPoint presentation and created the links as needed. It served as a great way to introduce the developers to the instructional requirements!

Of course, it was key that all the content was developed, outlined, and posted prior to the meetings.

Just a few thoughts for consideration.

Steve Flowers

That's a great suggestion Barbara! Love collaborative reviews.

Another option here is to have the storytellers build a diagram. This could be done using PPT or something simpler like butcher paper, postIt notes, scotch tape, and string. A diagram is often enough, when combined with the label or cue, for the developer to figure out where the links should go.

Diagrams are something I like to include in all of my storyboards. This provides a big picture view of how things will fit together.

Natalia Mueller

Hi Danika,

It might be helpful to name the objects that you're linking using the Selection Pane. You could also add some instruction to the developer in the Notes Field under the slide. You would probably want to wait on something like this until you're really solid on slide positions though. I inevitably end up adding or removing one and then my names don't match the slides.

Martina Osmak

Hi everyone, great discussion going on here! I don't want to spam this discussion because the subject is just similar, not the same. But, since it really is close enough, I'd like to draw your attention to this thread (discussion on SaaS tool for Storyboarding) - https://community.articulate.com/discussions/building-better-courses/saas-for-storyboarding . It includes branching scenarios which you mentioned in your post. Maybe you have some ideas what features should be developed- which would help storyboarding to be effective, fast and easier.

Best,

Martina

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.