Need a Programming Freelancer!

Aug 29, 2014

We've got a particular way that we have to create our quizzes and I need some help from a Storyline programmer out there.

We have courses that are split into modules. After the module, the learner has to take anywhere from 2 to 5 quizzes. Since these are really just knowledge checks, they aren't counting to the score or the LMS. Here's the tricky part, because we want to be approved by our education association, we had to make the quizzes act in a quirky way. They require that if the learner gets the question wrong, they are presented with two remedial questions that are similar to the original question. So, in effect, if there are 4 questions, each question has 2 remedial questions making a grand total of 12 questions that the learner could potentially answer.

I've come up with a way to create the remedial functionality using variables, however, I keep getting strange behavior reported at different times. Sometimes, it's something small, but there are other times when I just can't figure out the problem, or it gets fixed because I moved the order of the variable triggers or whatnot.

It's strange voodoo.

Bottom line is, we're looking for a Storyline developer that has more experience and knowledge than i do to help us out. Someone who can program. We're open to any way, Java, ASP, whatever.

If any of the developers out there would like to take a look at the story file and/or contact me, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Yes, this is a paying project.

4 Replies
Todd Crowell

Oh, I almost forgot! Let me give some more background information.

At the end of the quiz, there are a set course of actions, depending on how the user scored. If they pass, they move to the next scene. If they fail the first time, they have to immediately retake the quiz. If they fail again, they have to review the material and then retake the quiz. If they fail a fourth time, they move on to the next scene. This is per the association guidelines and it's just the way it HAS to be done.

To accomplish this, I create an Attempt variable and a TotalQuizScore variable. I create 3 copies of the first quiz question and set Attempt =1 in the first quiz. If they get an answer right, add 1 to TotalQuizScore. Then it moves to the next, using branching to determine which slide they go to next. At the Results slide, it shows a Success layer if they get x number of questions right. If they don't get that number right AND the attempt=1, then they should get the Retry Quiz layer. If it's wrong and Attempt=2, then they see Review Materials layer. If it's wrong and attempt=3, then they see the Move On layer.

This works, more or less, but if there's a better way, we'd like to know it. I'm just not sure what type of programming is needed.

Jerson  Campos

Hi Todd,

This might simplify things, why not branch out the remedial questions if they get it wrong instead of messing with variables (they can get messy). I would develop a scene that holds the remedial question for each standard questions. So if the user got question 2 wrong, on the incorrect layer instead of going to next slide on clicking continue, they are taken to Question 2 Remedial scene. On the last question for that one just have them jump back to question 3.

Where the tricky part is going to be is adding up the remedial questions so that you know what a passing score is, since this is not going to be reported to an LMS, you would have a bit more flexibility on this part. Will they need to answer both remedial questions correct to equal the same amount of points? or just one of them?

If you would like me to take a look at it, I would be happy to. Just PM me.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.