Time-lapse Video: Any rightful use in e-Learning?

Sep 18, 2014

As I pick up skills in my journey to becoming a professional, one skill I learnt a few months ago from a superhero is making time-lapse videos. Along with my submission to the e-learning challenge this week, I decided to do a time-lapse video which is the third I would create. Its just three not because I could not do it for every submission but because I don't seem to have come to grasp its usefulness yet. Time-lapse videos give you a general overview of creation process and helps envision what has been done, but it really is not the same as a screen-cast. I see it as useful when showing behind the scenes but is that all?

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with time-lapse and its usefulness in any part of e-Learning. Have you at any time had to do such a video for a kind of project? Could it ever become useful?

5 Replies
Ashley Chiasson

Daniel - As you point out, I agree that time-lapse videos are great for showing behind the scenes process information. However, I do think they can be useful when supported by appropriate supplemental materials. For example, in my time-lapse demo of a basic storyboard template, I show the development/process in the video, but also include the document as a downloadable resource. In this context, I think the demos can be beneficial. Same goes for .story files; you could do a TL demo video and then include the .story file for download so the user can play with the file and reverse-engineer the file to make it work for them or to try and replicate the process illustrated in the TL demo.

Tim Slade

Thanks for the kind words Adele!

I create the time-lapse videos simply for your entertainment. However, I do think they can be used in e-learning to show anything that takes a long time, as Bruce mentioned. I've also had a few people mention to me that they'll show my time-lapse videos to clients and business partners to show them how much time and detail goes into creating an e-learning course.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.