2014 Recap

Happy New Year, E-Learning Heroes!

Can you believe we completed our first calendar year of challenges? Thanks to everyone who participated in one or more challenges over the past year.

For this annual recap, I wanted to highlight some of the popular challenges, demos, and templates you and your fellow community members shared over the past year.

Challenge Leader Board

I thought it would be interesting to know how many users have completed 10 or more challenges. The following list represents completed challenges and should not be interpreted as any type of ranking or endorsement. 

Community Member Completed Challenges 
 Jackie Van Nice 63
 Jeff Kortenbosch 45
 Paul Alders 38
 Richard Watson 32
 Nick Russell 27
 Ashley Chiasson 25
 Allison Nederveld
Dan Sweigert
Melissa Milloway
Jennifer Valley
Montse Anderson
Nancy Woinoski 18
Daniel Adeboye
Dianne Hope
Gemma Henderson
Matthew Guyan 15
Charles Hamper 14
Kimberly Bourque 13
Ana Lucia Barguil
Gerald Friel
Joanna Kurpiewska
Mary Cropp
Cary Glenn 11
 Dana Dutiel
Tim Slade

Most Popular Challenges

More than 1,100 demos have been shared since we launched our first e-learning challenge in 2013. Here are some of the most active challenges that included 25 or more entries.

Most Popular Downloads and Freebies

Here are some popular recaps that feature free templates, graphics, and downloads shared in the community challenges.

This Week's Challenge

This Week

Technically we're still on winter break and there aren't any challenges this week. If you're itching for a challenge, why not write up a blog post or start a forum discussion to share your favorite challenges from the past year.

I like how Jackie Van Nice wrote about her favorite challenges. She included several categories which are great starting points for your own articles:

• My 3 Favorite Challenges from David
  • My 3 Favorite Challenges Where I Loved the Entries
  • My 3 Favorite Entries

Here are a few more suggestions from Kimberly Bourque Valliere:

• Easiest Challenge to Complete
  • Most Challenging Challenge to Complete
  • Favorite Entry from Another User

Feel free to use the comments below to share one or more of your favorites from last year.

Thanks again for everything you share, E-Learning Heroes. Have a great 2015!

New to the e-learning challenges?

The weekly challenges are ongoing opportunities to learn, share, and build your e-learning portfolios. You can jump into any or all of the previous challenges anytime you want. I’ll update the recap posts to include your demos.

If you have a blog, please consider writing about your challenges. We’ll link back to your posts so the great work you’re sharing gets even more exposure.

If you share your demos on Twitter, try using #ELHChallenge so your tweeps can track your e-learning coolness.

25 Comments
Jackie Van Nice
Ashley Chiasson

Let’s see here: My 3 favourite challenges from David were: - Challenge #35 - Instructional Design Tips That Really Pop - Challenge #37 - Spelling Bees and Interactive Vocabulary Quizzes - Challenge #52 - Interactive Sliders in E-Learning My 3 favourite challenges where I loved the entries were: - Challenge #35 - What’s in Your Course Design Toolkit? - Challenge #39 - Podcasts in E-Learning - Challenge #58 - Digital Magazines and Interactive E-Learning My 3 favourite entries were: - Stephanie’s entry for challenge #42 - Smartphone Video Training Examples - Dianne’s entry for challenge #58 - Interactive Magazines and Interactive E-Learning - Nancy’s entry for challenge #60 - Using Progress Meters in E-Learning The easiest challenge to complete was challenge #56 - 10 Thin... Expand

David Anderson

Awesome recap, Ashley! I’m with you and Jackie: the podcast challenge was one of my all-time faves. https://community.articulate.com/articles/elearning-podcast-interviews I have everyone's entries in a playlist and listen to them when I travel. I’m thinking of adding a regular podcast feature either as a challenge or separate series. My personal favorite challenge was the high-speed course design challenge. I really like the backstory behind the challenge and thought it was a good practice activity for course designers. Overall creativity in a challenge? I think the Sliders Challenge is my favorite: https://community.articulate.com/articles/interactive-sliders-elearning-examples We had just launched Storyline 2 so there weren’t many slider examples. I thought it might be ri... Expand

Daniel Adeboye

Yeah, a very eventful year it was for me; shout out to all heroes. Thanks everyone for spending your time to share with the community... I learnt quite a lot in 2014! I agree with the podcast challenge as one of my favorites and of course the Flat-design challenge was both fun and easy! The Ebola Outbreak Response challenge made my "I wish I participated in these challenges" category. The video challenges were my most challenging challenges but I loved them because they made me do what I would ordinarily not do. In the "Most helpful challenges", the portfolio and audio tips challenges were very helpful. A big thanks to David for the challenges, recap and updates; after my post, I appreciated you the more for all you did throughout the year to organize and promote our work. Well do... Expand

Jennifer Valley
Daniel Adeboye
Dianne  Hope

Fantastic post David and great comments everyone. It has been an amazing year to be part of this community. Did I really contribute to 16 challenges? Now I know where my spare time has gone, and why my husband keeps saying "are you on that computer again"! I have learnt so much from everyone and the connections I have made have been both positive and rewarding. Thanks to everyone for their generosity, support and sharing nature. This time last year I didn't have anywhere near the e-Portfolio that I have now - thanks to this amazing community. My favourite challenge by far was the Ebola challenge. For me this was a good lesson in how I had just skimmed the surface of knowledge on what was happening with this crisis, until I needed to understand more to to put together my chall... Expand