Branching scenarios are a highly effective way to help learners practice new skills. A branching scenario takes the principle of “learning by doing” and puts it to work in an e-learning setting, giving learners choices and providing them with feedback and results along the way.
The greatest thing about branching scenarios is that learners can get individualized feedback on their choices and performance—even if they don’t have one-on-one access to an instructor or teacher. In a well-designed branching scenario, they see how their new skills should work in the real world. And they can get specific, helpful feedback on the decisions they make during the course.
The best part is: branching scenarios are effective, and easy to design and build, once you get the hang of a few key concepts. Set aside some time to check out these tutorials and examples to get started.
- 4 Instructional Design Tips to Create Awesome E-Learning Scenarios: This thoughtful article shows you how to assess your content and frame it into a branching scenario.
- Top 3 Things You Need to Know to Write Realistic Scenarios for E-Learning: Go-to guide for the three must-have elements for successful scenarios that resonate with learners.
- 3 Simple Steps to Create Branched E-Learning: Learn Nicole’s three-step approach to using Storyline to build branched scenarios.
- How I Built This Branched E-Learning Scenario: In this detailed how-to, Nicole shows you step by step how to create a compelling story—and how to tell said story with a branching scenario. Bonus: you can get the download to take it apart and see how it works.
- 19 Ways Instructional Designers Use Branching Scenarios #99: See how members of the community create branching scenarios in this E-Learning Challenge. And share your own to get feedback and tips!
- 6 Sweet Branching Scenario Examples: See inspiring examples created by E-Learning Heroes community members.
- Choose Your Own Adventure in These 7 Branching Scenario Examples: And here are seven more examples to help inspire your designs.
Want to try something you learned here, but don’t have Articulate software? Download a free 30-day trial, and come back to E-Learning Heroes regularly for more helpful advice on everything e-learning.