Audio is a key element for so much e-learning content. Appropriate, high-quality audio helps capture learners’ attention, contextualize information, and make e-learning a more captivating multimedia experience.
But just because you can use audio doesn’t mean you have to! And you might need some help deciding when and how to use audio to enhance the learning experience. You might also wonder how you can create high-quality audio from a production perspective, even if you don’t have access to sophisticated software and equipment.
In the tutorials, articles, and discussions we’ve collected here, you’ll find all the info you’ll need to polish your e-learning audio skills.
Strategies for Using Audio Effectively
Dive into these articles to see how you can make the best use of audio to create compelling online learning experiences.
- Audio Basics for Online Course Design — A great beginner’s guide, with basic tips for preparing and recording high-quality audio.
- Redundancy Principle: Should You Duplicate Narrated Text On Screen? — What do the experts say about reading on-screen text to learners? This article walks you through the facts and gives you an example of different design approaches so you can decide for yourself what’s most effective.
- More Than a Dozen Tips for Writing Awesome Audio Narration Scripts — See how you can craft compelling narration scripts that ease audio production … and keep learners’ attention focused on your great content.
- How to Use Audio to Enhance Your E-Learning Course — Learn how you can use diverse types of audio such as interviews, ambient sound, and background music to up the engagement factor.
Production Tips and Tricks to Help You Create High-Quality Audio
One of the biggest challenges we hear from e-learning developers is how to create clear, easy-to-understand audio that enhances learners’ experience without distracting them. In these articles, we show you how to record, edit, and enhance your audio to get a pro sound every time.
- E-Learning Challenge #45: Audio Tips and Tricks — Community members share their best tips and tricks for working with aude.
- Ask Me Anything (AMA): Mike Enders Answers Audio and Video Production Questions — Articulate Community Manager Mike Enders is an absolute pro when it comes to creating attention-grabbing audio and video. In this AMA, he shares the tools and techniques he uses to create audio and video that learners love.
- E-Learning Audio Tips from an Expert — If you’re wondering what equipment you need to record audio like a pro, this is the Q&A for you. See how pro engineers at Sage Audio get a polished, professional sound.
- 3 Easy Tricks for Editing Your Audio Like a Pro — Now that you’ve recorded your audio, you’ll want to give it some polish before you add it to your course. Here’s a walk-through of three simple editing tricks you can do in Audacity (a free audio editor) to get professional-quality results.
Storyline 2 Audio Tutorials
If you use Storyline 2 to create your e-learning, you’ll be pleased to hear that there are great tools for recording and editing audio built right in. Here are the tutorials you’ll need to make the most of Storyline 2’s audio capabilities:
- Using the Audio Tools — A helpful intro to working with all the audio tools in Storyline 2.
- Adding Audio — If you need to import audio files to supplement your content, here’s how you can do it.
- Editing Audio — Need to make some tweaks to your audio? Here’s how you can adjust it as needed.
- Background Audio Cool Trick — Here’s how you can add audio that plays across all slides in Storyline 2.
3 Ways to Boost E-Learning Accessibility with Closed Captions — If you’re wondering how you can add closed captioning to your courses, here are three techniques you can try using Storyline 2.