In Storyline, when you make changes to a course's player, those changes get saved within your course's project file. But Storyline also allows you to save the player on its own. This enables you to apply the same player to other courses you build, or to share the player with other course developers.
In this tutorial, we'll take a look at how to save a player, how to apply a previously saved player to a project, and how to import, export, and delete players.
Opening the Player Properties Window
First you'll need to open the Player Properties window: click the Home tab on the Storyline ribbon, and then click Player:
Saving Your Player
To save your player, click the Current Player button on the Player Properties window:
Then choose either of the following:
- Save: Use this to save the player under its current name. If you haven't saved the player before, it doesn't have a name yet, so Storyline will ask you to enter one. Enter a name and click OK.
- Save As: This saves a copy of the current player under a new name, which Storyline will prompt you to enter. This is a good option when you've customized a player and then want to make additional variations of the same player.
Be sure to click the OK button to close the Player Properties window when you have finished working with your player configuration. If you click the X in the upper right corner of the window instead of clicking OK, your changes, including the Save action, will be canceled. In other words, the X in the upper right corner functions in the same manner as the Cancel button.
Once you save a Storyline player, it's stored as an .xml file on your hard drive, and it gets added to the list of available players you can apply to any course (see the next section of this tutorial for info on how to switch your course to a player you've previously saved). The location where the .xml file is stored depends on which version of Window you're using:
Windows Vista or later:
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Articulate\Shared\2.0\Players
Applying a Player That You Previously Saved
Once you use the Save or Save As options to save a player, you can apply that same player to other courses you build. To do that, click Current Player on the Player Properties window, and choose Open.
Scroll through the list to find the player you want to use, and then click it to apply it to the current course.
The default Storyline Player will always appear at the top of the list. Any player whose name is followed by "(on disk)" has been saved to your hard drive. A player name followed by "(in project)" is stored within the current project itself, and hasn't yet been saved under its own name.
Sharing a Player (Exporting a Player)
If you want to share a player with a colleague, or transfer the player to a different computer, you can easily export the player's .xml file. That same file can then be imported by any other Storyline user who wants to use it. Here's how to export:
- On the Player Properties manager, click Current Player and choose Export.
- Browse to the location where you want to save the player.
- Enter the name you want to give the exported player (it defaults to the player name you've used in Storyline, but you can enter a different name if you want).
- Click Save.
Now you can give the file to a colleague, or use it on another computer. For instructions on how to import the file, see the next section of this tutorial.
Using a Player Someone Has Shared with You (Importing a Player)
If someone gives or sends you an .xml file for a Storyline player, you can import it to your current project like this:
- On the Player Properties window, click Current Player and choose Import.
- Navigate to the .xml file for the player you want to import. Select it and click Open.
- This applies the player to your project. If you'd like to also save the player so that it's available for other Storyline projects you work on, use the steps we covered earlier for saving your player.
Deleting a Player from Your Hard Drive
If you no longer need a player you've previously saved, you can delete it like this:
- On the Player Properties window, click Current Player and choose Open.
- Scroll through the list and find the player you want to delete. Click it to apply it to the current course.
- Click Current Player again, and this time choose Delete. Respond Yes at the confirmation prompt.
This deletes the player and reverts your course back to the default Storyline player. If any other courses you've built happen to use the player you deleted, that player will still remain saved within the course; it'll just be saved within the project rather than as a separate player file.
Undoing Changes to a Saved Player
Let's say you've saved a player, and then made some additional modifications, but haven't yet re-saved the player. Although the additional modifications will stay within the course, they're saved "In project"—meaning they're not saved to the actual player file yet. If you click the Current Player button on the Player Properties window, you might see something like this:
If you want to revert back to the previously saved version of the player, you just need to click Current Player and choose Reset.